Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Friday, July 23, 2004

I really have no idea what bothers me more...

Is it that breast augmentation and other elective plastic surgery is being offered free? Is it that the reasoning for this is our need for human guinea pigs for doctors to practice on? Is it that pec and penis implants aren't included? Because, you know, offering only female-oriented surgeries in a male-dominated organization like the army is a little disturbing. Almost like we need to make sure and extra-sexualize women moving into this particular sector of society. And yes, I know, men can get liposuction and rhinoplasty too, but which sex do you think gets more procedures? I'll give you three guesses, and if you need more than one you're a goddamn idiot. Check out the official statistics if you don't believe me.

The original article I'm rambling on about incoherently is here.

And, as long as I'm at it, the woman at the top of the "Public Education" page of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website really creeps me out for some reason. I know plastic surgeons do some very noble work- there's a friend of my family who, following a car accident, more or less only has a face because of the interventions of such a physician. Strangely, though, I'm not thinking the before-and-after photo gallery of breast augmentation procedures exactly convinces many people of the nobility of the profession.

Especially not when one of the cases, described below, seems like almost the definition of "unnecessary surgery."

This patient is 20 years old. The patient's height is 5'7''. Before the procedure, the patient weighed 123lbs. The patient was a size 34A preoperatively. 375 cc, round, smooth surfaced, saline implants were used, giving the patient postoperative size 38C breasts.


I'm not saying women shouldn't have the option, especially in cases of accident or mastectomy or what-not, but... wow. There's just really something wrong here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter