Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

It has been suggested...

That perhaps my post earlier today was a little over the top. Funny, yes, so far there seems to be consensus on that point, but over the top. It has even been suggested that, should my normal identity (as opposed to my super-powered alter-ego Drek) become generally known, that this post may impair my ability to find a job.

*sigh*

Such are the hardships of a blogger with my particular brand of irreverent humor. I mean no (well, minimal, anyway) disrespect to the people mentioned in my list. For the most part, I have great respect and/or fondness for them. There are a few I genuinely dislike, but I challenge you to be able to tell them apart from the rest. Let's face it, people, we're a buch of smarty-heads who have a number of personal foibles almost all of which make for good humor. Don't take me, or yourselves, so seriously.

Still, I suppose it's possible I may have just scandalized the sociological community (or, more accurately, the whole 6 people that read this blog) so I'll let y'all weigh in on what I should do. Vote early, vote often, and decide the fate of my post.

And I don't know why my poll appears in such a weird place. I'm open to suggestions on that point.












What should Drek do about the post "I Need a Conference-Blind"?
It's totally inappropriate- get rid of it!
It's totally inappropriate, but funny as hell. Get rid of it, then send me a copy.
It's over the top, but keep it up- I want to see Drek fail professionally!
Keep it up, but don't be surprised if you have a hard time finding work.
Bloody hell, it's a joke, people need to take themselves less seriously!
For crying out loud, who reads what's posted in this intellectual pesthole, anyway?


  

Free polls from Pollhost.com







4 Comments:

Blogger dorotha said...

how anonymous are you really, drek? i guess about 15 to 20 people know who i am, but not all are sociologists. there are many reasons that i worry about finding a job after i finish, and blogging is actually one of them, which is why i try to keep the really inflammatory stuff off the web, but if it is unlikely to get traced back to you, i think you should keep it. google yourself and see if there are any connections to your blog with your real name attached (yes, i google myself all of the time).

Wednesday, July 21, 2004 11:39:00 AM  
Blogger procfreak said...

Eh, I say keep it. First of all, you're not going on the job market this year (are you?), so even if someone were to find out about your blog by then, the likelihood of them scrolling back through your archives is relatively low. Second, even if the Hiring-Powers-That-Be do find out about it, they're even more unlikely to read it. Seriously. I'm pretty sure the only things they tend to read are your cover letter (if even) and vita. All those other materials you send in? Used to play paper toss during recruitment meetings (how else do you think they keep their sanity after plowing though 150 applications?!). Don't cave to the pressure man!

Wednesday, July 21, 2004 11:55:00 AM  
Blogger james said...

what we need is a generation of sociologists who've lost all the typical pretenses. i nominate drek to lead the revolution. and if the revolution fails, then there are plenty of positions at community colleges to go around.

"telephone pole"? seriously?

I don't know why my poll appears in such a weird place.If I had a dollar....

(actually, just go into your template and put it with the script for the left column)

Wednesday, July 21, 2004 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger jeremy said...

Honestly? You might consider revising it to remove the ones that name names of people whose names you wouldn't want for them to see how they had been named. And the "certain network analyst" one, which must, in network circles, be tantamount to naming names. The unspecified "sociologist who..." seems pretty harmless and were actually the most amusing ones to me, even though I have no idea who they refer to. I wouldn't feel too confident under the veil of a pseudonym, especially if someone wanted to out you; presumably, some of the less famous names you named in your post alone narrow down your identity. (Don't worry about a Wisconsin effort in this regard, although, I tell you, we've got some mad Google-and-inferential skillz up here.)

Wednesday, July 21, 2004 12:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter