Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Blog overload! Blog overload!

After a conference like that one, I feel like I have way too many things to talk about to possibly get to them all. This is doubly sad since I'm sure I'll get sidetracked onto actual work long before I clear out the list. Ah, well, what can you do?

I have returned from San Francisco and somehow managed not to leave my heart there. And yes, contrary to popular opinion, I do, in fact, have a heart. The conference was great. The panels were, with one regrettable exception, quite good. The seminars were well organized and led, the plenary sessions were... largely lacking my presence, but the ones I attended were interesting. Michael Burrawoy's speech was excellent. I didn't agree with everything he said, which should come as no surprise, but did find myself generally quite pleased. I even got to participate in my favorite conference sport while I was there. I don't think I racked up quite the score at it that Brayden is claiming, but I still feel pretty good.

By the way, Brayden, before you claim your points you really do need to verify certain of those spots with me via e-mail. Not to doubt you, but some of the clues are a tad... um... vague. I am aware, however, that you did identify Lothar the Destroyer.

Brayden is correct, I DO make a lousy undercover agent, but I did enjoy the blogger's get-together that Tina from Kickass Sociology organized. I had an interesting conversation with Brayden, Nick from Public Sociology, and Erin from Prairie Sociology that dealt with the role of the ASA in public life. I imagine we'll see more of that discussion in our blogs as time goes by. I also had another fun conversation with someone else from Prairie Sociology who apparently is still trying to figure out how to post and, hence, isn't really from Prairie Sociology. Hopefully that caveat will be cleared up before much longer, hmmm? And, of course, I got to meet Jeremy and the enigmatic Lago. Good times all around, and I hope y'all enjoyed meeting me half as much as I enjoyed meeting y'all.

And that would be a new personal best for me if you did.

Much as I would enjoy hanging around and blabbing further, I do need to take care of a few things. I start teaching the undergrads soon, need to change offices, am doing laundry, and generally need to take care of a million things. Besides, I'm way behind on my blog-reading and internet cartoons. I'm sure you understand.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Besides, I'm way behind on my blog-reading and internet cartoons. I'm sure you understand.Tell me about it. I get positively despondent if I miss my Scary-Go-Round.

Wednesday, August 18, 2004 6:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. Forgot to sign that one. Dumb Blogger comment system wants me to make a freakin' account.

- Alan

Wednesday, August 18, 2004 6:23:00 PM  
Blogger jeremy said...

Great to meet you, Drek; would have been loved to have had the chance to talk to you more. I did marvel at what a masterful job you've done at concealing your identity on your weblog. I had expected you to be male, for instance. And I never would have guessed you were a dwarf, much less a dwarf with one arm.

Thursday, August 19, 2004 9:15:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

Hey Jeremy,

Yeah, I get that a lot. The appropriate term, however, is "little person."

Someday, Alan, I'll be sure and post a listing of my preferred i-net comics. There are a distressingly large number at this point.

Thursday, August 19, 2004 10:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter