Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

A serious tactical error...

I made the mistake recently of revealing my knowledge of networking, both wireless and wired. As a consequence I've been doing double-duty teaching my undergraduates and getting people going with our department network(s). I say network(s) because we have multiple wireless routers operating now with the attendant network printers and what-not. This wouldn't be so bad, except that our local departmental staff member who is responsible for these matters, has no earthly idea how to run a network or setup a network printer.

Obviously I should have pursued some sort of alternate strategy but, alas, was too slow witted to realize in time. The hell of it is, I can't really get away from the job since I'm unaware of anyone else around here who understands how to make encrypted wireless networks work, and if I just give out the keys publicly, we'll inevitably have all sorts of assholes inside the firewalls. On the upside, it is allowing me to meet the new cohort of graduate students, which is always fun.

Not that any of this is important, but I wrote a lot yesterday and I've been busy since then, so you can make do with a relatively lousy post.

And if you're sitting there thinking of a networking question you want to ask: just give me a friggin week, ok?!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Penny Arcade really does have an answer for everything.

- Alan

Wednesday, September 01, 2004 10:46:00 AM  
Blogger tina said...

On the other side of the (decidedly not wireless) network, here's the answer I got when I asked if I could connect to the network printer:

"Yes. Not this week, not next week, but I'll come by your office the week after that."

GIMME THE KEYS!!!

Wednesday, September 01, 2004 6:07:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

Tina: Stop asking! You know it's too far of a drive for them to do you any good!

Seriously, though, the problem is that I AM pretty much dropping whatever I'm doing to help. Nobody has had to wait for more than a few hours for me to drop by, and the networks themselves are being built as I do this. Hell, one of the office networks is based around a router that I'm just loaning to the department! A few days ago there wasn't a network, or a network printer, to connect to.

Besides that, the other guy in this department that ran a wireless network in years past didn't encrypt the thing. Consequently, one of our users inadvertently became a zoo for trojans and viruses. The network I set up at about the same time has, by contrast, remained virus and trojan free. So, long story short, if I'm running the network, I'm running it securely. I'd rather have you bitch about being off the network printer for an extra day than bitch that your dissertation just got eaten by the blaster-worm.

Sounds like your computer folks suck ass, though, Tina. E-mail me later and I'll see if I can suggest a way to set yourself up, but networks tend to be both delicate and idiosyncratic.

Wednesday, September 01, 2004 7:07:00 PM  
Blogger tina said...

Thanks anyway, Drek, but a) I'm the new kid on the block, not trying to make waves, and b) you really don't need anything else to do.

In fact, step away from the computer right now and go get yourself an iced latte.

Thursday, September 02, 2004 9:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter