Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Monday, October 11, 2004

Priorities

A lot of people have suggested that playing video games can lead to violent behavior. Hell, some folks have even suggested that being exposed to violent stories can corrupt youth, including horror writer Stephen King. If you don't know what I'm talking about, read the short story Summer of Corruption in his Different Seasons collection.

Now, I dunno if video games lead to violent behavior or not. The studies are contradictory, which usually makes me suspect that the answer is "no," but it's possible. I suppose it's possible that all those fights I haven't gotten into and people I haven't murdered are a consequence of my video game playing. Anything is possible, right? So, even though I do think video games constitute speech, and that they are at best an indicator of violent behavior rather than a cause, and despite the fact that I support our constitutional right to possess arms (and, in fact, exercise that right), I do want to make an observation about video games and violence. Don't worry, this won't take long.

Price of a copy of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City at Wal-Mart: $19.82.

Price of a Playstation 2 (with which to play Grand Theft Auto: Vice City) at Wal-Mart: $149.82.

Price of an actual 12-gauge "youth model" shotgun at Wal-Mart: $94.82.

Have a nice day, motherfuckers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter