Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Saturday, October 09, 2004

Slag's First Post, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Blog

Greetings Total Drek fans!

Mark Twain once said that there are only three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics. Drek is an expert at all three, so naturally his description of me was completely inaccurate. Except for the part about "Slag" spelled backwards. That's totally true.

I suppose I should introduce myself, so that you will learn of whose vague ramblings you read. I am a science writer at a Major East Coast University (Go MECU!), which means that I, um, write about science. I am a voracious reader and occaisonal writer of science fiction , a meaningful and important genre to which I will devote a blog entry sometime (Drek and I have had long discussions comparing some of our favorites). My political leanings are somewhere between liberal and very liberal. I am not as bitter or sarcastic as Drek, in much the same way that I am not as tall as Yao Ming.

So it's nice to be a part of the action here at Total Drek, and I look forward to blogging regularly and interacting with the wonderful community here. Starting to blog is quite a step for me. I've been hearing about the Blog phenomeon (blonominon?) for most of the decade, and I've always had mixed feelings about it. Blogs are democracy in action - individuals communicate with each other directly, sharing their thoughts and opinions directly. I've been shocked at how quickly blogs have become part of the mainstream media, and how powerfully blogs have influenced so many people's understanding of the world.

But at the same time, blogging has always seemed very self-important. The Internet is full of random whiny LiveJournal users, writing about themselves, for themselves, and expecting the rest of the Internet to read with fascination. Blogs seem to be full of unnecessary seriousness and mock importance.

So why did I join Total Drek? By this point, you should know that Total Drek is one of the least self-important blogs on the Internet. And since I don't have to worry about seeming pretentious, I think that I can say things that other people will be interested in. But ultimately, I blog to keep myself interested in the world. Total Drek gives me space to engage with the world, to try out ideas, and to get feedback on what I have to say. I'm looking forward to a long, productive collaboration between readers and writers here at Total Drek.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter