Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Friday, January 07, 2005

Conversations with a Bush Voter, Part II...

Drek: There is some suggestive, though not conclusive, evidence about the death penalty that shows-

BV: See, that's one thing. You can show me research all day, and the research might be right, but I'm just not going to believe it. That bit about it being unfair to minorities? It might be, but I'm just not going to believe it.

Drek: Well... all right. If that's what you want. Would someone pass the potatoes, please?

BV: But how are you going to deal with someone like me?

Drek: I think you're acting like an idiot, but what else am I supposed to do?

BV: No, look, you're doing this research and it says one thing, then there are people like me who just aren't going to believe it. What are you going to do about it? You know, to convince me to stop supporting it?

Drek: Oh! That's easy, that isn't my problem. I'm a scientist, I'm interested in facts, not setting policy. It's our job to figure out how the world works and then to make that information available to others. What the body politic chooses to do with that information is another matter entirely.

Drek's Father: 'Body politic?' You sound like a goddamned academic!

Drek: Thank you! Would you pass an academic the potatoes, please?

BV: No, but, see, you might just be doing your research, and you're not actively trying to set policy, but your research might still make my position look pretty stupid.

Drek:Well, then maybe you should consider changing to a position that doesn't make you look quite so stupid.

Drek's Father: Oh, now I don't believe that.

Drek: Fine, no problem. By that logic, though, you should believe that the sun does orbit the Earth, diseases really are caused by imbalances in the four humours, and that airplanes are kept in the sky by fairy dust and happy thoughts.

BV: laughs

Drek: Now, seriously, there's a bowl of potatoes on the table right there, would someone please pass it over here?

Drek's Father: Eat something closer to ya'.

Drek: And people wonder why I turned out the way I did.

Once again, amazingly, I didn't make the preceding up.

3 Comments:

Blogger tina said...

Hey, that sounds remarkably like my Christmas. Why didn't you go into Penn & Teller mode?

Friday, January 07, 2005 8:58:00 AM  
Blogger Brayden said...

I love stories about Drek's family. I can't wait to hear what happens at the wedding! Bwahahaha!

Friday, January 07, 2005 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

Who says I didn't go into Penn & Teller mode? I've actually been pretty much locked in it since I got home. I just didn't reproduce the entire conversation that led up to this passage. If I had you would have been treated to two hours on science, statistics, and the reason why the methods of a computer scientist are useless for doing social science. The day after this conversation, there was a two hour discussion of the role of Unions and public assistance in encouraging economic growth.

It's been an experience.

Friday, January 07, 2005 11:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter