Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Monday, January 24, 2005

So much meaning.

What really makes this picture so amusing to me is that, as I've mentioned before, armadillos are one of the only other mammals that can carry leprosy. So the association of Bush and armadillos is not necessarily all that flattering.

King Midas, his touch turned things to gold. Bush? His touch is synonymous with spreading putrefaction.

Sounds about right to me.

And speaking of spreading putrefaction, check out this post and the associated comments from over at Wisconversation. It's a little like watching a cock-fight... and you can interpret that in whatever manner you like.

For myself, I probably would have been in attendance at Dorothy Smith's talk, but that's because I more or less always attend our local departmental speakers. I figure I can always learn something new. I've never heard of Dorothy Smith before this, but that's not necessarily surprising given how balkanized Sociology is, or how ignorant and stupid I am. Take your pick. As my own contribution to the debate, which is to say no contribution at all, here is a list of female scholars who, if they gave a talk at my department, would definitely see me in attendance. This list is not intended to be exhaustive, or to demonstrate that women in academia aren't underpriviledged. It's just a list I came up with in about five minutes after having asked myself, "What female speakers would you really like to see?"

Philippa Pattison
Katherine Faust
Verta Taylor
Arlie Hochschild
Cecilia Ridgeway
Lynn Smith-Lovin
Elisabeth Clemens
Theda Skocpol
Susan Brownmiller
Diane Vaughan
Lynn Eden
Jill Quadagno
Nina Eliasoph
Nancy Howell Lee

6 Comments:

Blogger tina said...

Okay fine, Drek, but I'm not coming to your talk either!

Monday, January 24, 2005 1:10:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

For what it's worth, I deliberately excluded my blog-friends from that list, despite the fact that I would go to their talks if they were around.

C'mon, Tina, don't be a hater!

Monday, January 24, 2005 1:14:00 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Throwing in my 5 minutes:

Roberta GarnerMary BernsteinElizabeth ArmstrongAnn SwidlerKelly MooreDebra MinkoffKim VossThanks.

Monday, January 24, 2005 1:42:00 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Bloggersuckswhenwelosetheformattingofourcomments.

Monday, January 24, 2005 1:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I find interesting about these lists -- granted, there is a small n problem -- is the proportion of women on them who are at relatively marginalized schools in the discipline. Would an independent exercise of listing of "male speakers I would most like to hear give a talk?" also yield such a, um, diversity of represented schools?

Another interesting listing exercise might be, "sociologists who most like to hear themselves talk." I nominate myself. Kim.

Monday, January 24, 2005 7:46:00 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Lists are fun. I overlap a lot with Drek and Jeff, but I would also add Evelyn Nakano Glenn (Ethnic Studies, Berkeley) and Esther Ngan-ling Chow (American University), Sucheng Chan (UCSB), Rose Brewer (U of MN). Lisa Lowe (Stanford?) would be great too. And I would've been in the front row for Dorothy Roberts.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005 10:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter