Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

And for my next trick...

I have been asked to take one hour tomorrow morning and teach a workshop in the use of SAS for the benefit of our first-year cohort. To this I respond, "Sure? Why not? You can learn SAS in an hour! It's not like SAS is such a crotchety bastard of a stats package that I've been forced to put the data on a floppy disk just to make the 'infile' statement work! Hell, this'll be easy!"

Once this workshop is over I plan to move on to some similarly-difficult tasks: like comprehending Bush's foreign policy, convincing vegans that meat ISN'T murder, and jumping through my own ass backwards.

It should be thrilling. I could sell tickets.

7 Comments:

Blogger gonerill said...

SAS! For crying out loud. Teach them something useful, and preferably designed this century. Learning SAS is like being forced to buy the whole of General Motors Corporation when all you want is a ride to the goddamn grocery store.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 7:55:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

Trust me, buddy, I know. I'd rather teach them STATA, myself, but SAS my advisor wants, so SAS they are gonna get.

On the upside, SAS won't kill you... you just wish it would.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 8:30:00 PM  
Blogger Tom Volscho said...

After dabbling in R, SAS seems so easy now. R is free, SAS is a bunch of capitalist swine.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 10:26:00 PM  
Blogger Brayden said...

I've been dabbling in R lately too. There seems to be a learning curve I haven't surmounted yet, but I can see that once you get over the hump the advantages of R are pretty good.

Wednesday, February 09, 2005 9:06:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

After dabbling in R, SAS seems so easy now.Tom, that's a little like saying, "Since I've started hitting myself in the head with the claw-end of the hammer, the blunt-end feels so much better!"

Wednesday, February 09, 2005 9:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way back in the day, I put together a short tutorial on generating web-accessible graphs via a mainframe installation of SAS -- for those who don't want to buy SAS or who don't have an X client to use it remotely. But I never used SAS much after that. Wasn't in the CARDS;, I guess.


- Alan

Wednesday, February 09, 2005 12:24:00 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

What?! Meat ISN'T murder?!

Thursday, February 10, 2005 2:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter