Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Monday, February 21, 2005

Prophetic...

Thanks to the "popular" television program, Stargate: SG1 we may well have gotten a brief, momentary glimpse at my future, or lack thereof, in academia. Specifically, the following conversation, modified slighlty in ways that should be obvious:

Random Post-Doc: I'm sorry, Doctor Uninteresting?

Drek: Hmmm? Yes?

Random Post-Doc: It's just such an honor to meet you. I think I've read everything you've ever published.

Drek: Everything?

Random Post-Doc: Everything.

Drek: What a colossal waste of time.

Random Post-Doc: Your theories are brilliant if... audacious. I referenced them in my doctoral thesis at Cambridge.

Drek: You did?

Random Post-Doc: Yes.

Drek: You must have failed.

Random Post-Doc: Well- yes.

Then again- there's no way anyone will ever refer to my work as brilliant or audacious. Now, if you replace "brilliant" with "unusual" and "audacious" with "completely half-assed," we might have something.

Needless to say this means I have returned from the Misery Journey and am back in the office. It was as miserable a journey as ever, though as usual I learned a number of lessons. I will discuss said lessons in more detail when I have time. For now, let me just report that I am home and it feels good.

In other news, during my absence Tom Bozzo was kind enough to hurl down the gauntlet and tell me what my assignment is. I accept his challenge and look forward to writing the post I owe... just as soon as I have time to do the background reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter