Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Monday, February 07, 2005

This blog post is like a Ziggy cartoon.

In other words: short, bizarre, and cursed with a pretty stupid punchline. Unlike Ziggy cartoons, however, this blog is unlikely ever to be immortalized in an unending flood of crappy mousepads and coffee mugs that high school guidance counselors across the nation will collect with obsessive glee. Unless they're like my high school guidance counselor, anyway, in which case they will also collect breathtaking quantities of Leonard Nimoy paraphenalia.

Regardless, a few days ago Tom Bozzo wrote a post concerned with the habits of powerful men. Specifically, he wrote a post dealing with the tendency of these men to marry their personal assistants. (I think we all appreciate, as a side note, Tom's reluctance to extend his observations to faculty and grad students.) At the end of this post, Tom comments: "Perhaps I need to reconsider the explanatory power of economic theories of marriage."

Indeed! Tom, you would not be the first economist to analyze such circumstances. I believe the practice was begun by no less a luminary than Adam Smith, whose proposed mechanism for matching buyers and sellers in this market was referred to as, if I recall correctly, the invisible handjob.

I should probably also mention that, unlike Ziggy cartoons, this blog post is just a bit crude. Personally, I think that's a point in its favor.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even think Ziggy has genitals. His legs seem to be attached to his head.

Monday, February 07, 2005 7:27:00 PM  
Blogger Tom Bozzo said...

I hadn't forgotten about the faculty-grad student thing, it's just that I've been away from academics for a long time and don't know just how frowned-upon that all is, and how much it happens anyway. I was reminded just this morning that one prof from my old department did marry his advisee-RA from the class behind me, though that's a far cry from what I understand to be the situation in the days when more of the DWMs were still actually alive.

I was also undecided as to whether a common model would apply. I mean, professors powerful?! But with diminishing marginal utility, it may be possible that the relative power differential between a grad student and a professor, and between a sickeningly overpaid executive assistant and an even more sickeningly overpaid executive, could be similar.

Monday, February 07, 2005 9:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am searching for an old ziggy cartoon regarding needing a license before having children. Anybody remember this one? Where can I find copy?

Thursday, May 01, 2008 10:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter