Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Very punny.

And taking the prize for best unexpected pun in a computer book: this thing.

Oh yeah- those old FORTRAN jockeys sure knew how to have fun.

And as long as we're on the subject of books, I have recently become the proud owner of four new books. One of my good friends was nice enough to send me a book of interviews with the late, great Edward Said. While I don't care much for his social science, I do rather like many of his political positions. I'm looking forward to reading it.

My friend also sent along a copy of Jon Stewart's America, which I am sure requires no particular introduction.

The other two books came from my sister and, frankly, I find the combination a little disturbing. First, she sent me a copy of How to Cook Everything. While I can't say for sure, just from paging through it, I think the title is largely true to its word. Then again, maybe I'm just immature enough to be really amused by the section headed, "Boning the Chicken." If nothing else, this gift shows how well she knows me, since a new cookbook is always exciting, and one this comprehensive is goddamn spectacular.

It's the second book she sent that bothers me- particularly in light of the earlier book's suggestion that my sister knows me well. Specifically, she sent me For Women Only: A Revolutionary Guide to Reclaiming Your Sex Life. This seems somewhat... odd to me. Particularly given that I am not, in fact, a woman. Matters do not improve when we examine the text on the book's back cover. Mostly I'm referring to the book feature: "Surprising new information about the female anatomy and how it really works." To date I thought I had a fairly decent... um... grasp on the subject, and certainly haven't received any complaints. Nor, in fact, have I been receiving any compliments for some months now, but that's hardly the point. In any case, I'm a little bewildered by all of this. Not to mention the fact that my sister is sending me books that deal fairly specifically with sexually satisfying women.

I mean, yeah, we're from the south but crap- that even makes my skin crawl.

For those enterprising souls out there who are already preparing to write in and tell me about how female sexual response and anatomy have been mystified for years and that this mystification has disempowered women- just shut the hell up. I've seen the brochures and understand what you're saying (even if my own education into my sexual anatomy was rather less than thorough, leaving me skeptical of the supposed psychological consequences, but I digress...) but that doesn't have anything to do with this. I'm totally okay with books that give people insight into their sexual existence. If what makes you happy in the evening is a hand-mirror and a speculum then more power to ya. I'm just saying that it's a little weird for my sister to be sending me something like this. Are we all clear on that?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I know you, so I guess I should have expected it. But was that last link necessary. How did you even come accross it? Or don't I know you as well as I think I do? Drek's a hermaphrodite (sp?)! Pass it on.

T.H.R.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 7:26:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

Oh, c'mon THR, don't tell me you're that afraid of female genitalia! I think every male should have a healthy understanding of the plumbing. Besides, considering I once had to help a girlfriend fish a tampon out... well... this sort of information can be surprisingly useful.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 7:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Female genitalia I can deal with. Female genitalia I am perfectly happy with. But hell, is it really necessary to mention Edward Said? No, I have not read any of his critical work. I read his autobiography, Out of Place, as promising a title as was ever given to a self-obsessed and entirely un-self-critical book. Reading a disappointing book is not, in itself, all that traumatising. It merely made me mildly hostile to its author, who was alive at the time. But subsequently finding yourself in a situation where you are spending lovely spring days indoors because of this obnoxious and thoroughly irritating book, and being threatened with introductions to Said's personal friends - no - no - it is too much for any hapless post grad. I am not taking the risk of reading any more of his work.
I am perhaps a tad more belligerent on the subject than strictly necessary. This may or may not be due to my matitudinal encounter with the Hungarian health system; which brings me back to the topic of female genitalia and female empowering action. If you are aiming to be a Stronger and More Confident Woman, try tackling a hospitalful of monolingually Hungarian staff in search of a gynaecologist (who may or may not speak English), armed with three Hungarian sentences and a small paper from one's doctor. No Drek, I don't recommend it for you and yes, it is probably more information than you needed, but you were asking for it.

Thursday, February 24, 2005 3:59:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

Anony: Um.... okay. Sorry to hear about your experiences with Hungarian gynos, it sounds uncomfortable. On the positive side, at least Edward Said can't write any new books you'll be compelled to read? Thanks for dropping by.

Thursday, February 24, 2005 9:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter