Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Like a choose-your-own adventure novel... but worse.

It's come to my attention lately that some people think I write really obsessively, absurdly long posts. I can't really argue with this, as my average post length is rather long, but it is interesting to have a sort of award named after me to honor those who suffer through long blog posts.

I've also, once more, been referred to as indiscreet although considering that I didn't really ridicule anyone but myself in the post in question I'm not really sure how that one was supposed to be risky. I mean, seriously, considering what I talk about normally? Are people that enamored with, dare I say, sterile approaches to explaining data types? This, however, is not my point.

My point is that I'm giving y'all an opportunity to provide some guidance for me on the future of Total Drek. What sort of posts do you want to see? Do you want to see me stop blogging? What about monkeys, do you want more posts about monkeys? There's a new poll in the left-hand sidebar- now's your chance to make your feelings known.

Of course, I make no promises to actually pay attention to this feedback. I tend to just kind of write whatever strikes my fancy, after all, but I've never been one to curtail chances to talk back.

So go vote and we'll see what happens.

And if someone could explain my hypothetical indiscretion to me... that would be good too.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly, Drek, you are a little disappointing today.
If discreet is, according to Merriam Webster:
1 : having or showing discernment or good judgment in conduct and especially in speech : PRUDENT; especially : capable of preserving prudent silence
2 : UNPRETENTIOUS, MODEST "the warmth and discreet elegance of a civilized home" -- Joseph Wechsberg
3 : UNOBTRUSIVE, UNNOTICEABLE "followed at a discreet distance"
That same source defines indiscreet as "not discreet, imprudent". Your post, and in fact your blog, clearly demonstrate that you possess none of the qualities listed above, therefore you are obviously, nay, blatantly indiscreet.

Friday, March 11, 2005 1:47:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

Okay, Anony, fair enough. Let's consider your definition, however.


First, there's the "discernment in good judgment..." part. I certainly would have a hard time contradicting this one, as my blog is a mess of profanity and insanity. Then again, I did refrain from divulging any information on anyone I've dated who could actually be identified by any of the readers of this blog... save that bit about the name, which they already know. So, I at least possess a little discretion, judging by this criteria.


Second comes the unpretentious/modest part. Considering I routinely ridicule myself, did so in the post in question, and even post a warning at the very top of the blog that it has no redeeming value, I can at least claim not to be the inverse of unpretentious.


And as far as unobtrusive and unnoticeable go- hell, judging by my site meter, I'm amazed anyone knows I'm here. Given the vast ocean of the internet, I'd say I'm fairly unnoticeable.


Does this mean I'm discreet? Nah. I'm just screwing with you.


As a final remark, though: you're disappointed? I'm a tad concerned by this because, in order to be disappointed, one has to have some sort of expectations to begin with. Now there is your first mistake with this blog.

Friday, March 11, 2005 9:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I am sure that I shall soon be your only reader Drek, but surely having only one reader would make you obscure (relatively unknown) rather than unobtrusive (not blatant, arresting or aggressive) or unnoticable (not obtrusive)? But come, I won't be churlish. We should cherish those members of (y)our society who are both entertaining and well-informed in spite of disclaimers, and not bog them down with our own superior lexical knowledge.

Monday, March 14, 2005 6:54:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

Okay, I'll admit it, I'm impressed.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 10:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter