Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I am, really and truly, not kidding about this.

It's always good to know that Slag's hot Belgian girlfriend is reading the blog. I mean, hell, that probably hopefully accounts for about half of our non-sociology readership!

In reading your reply, however, S'sHBG, I feel compelled to point something out: I too, as it happens, am Bohemian. Why do I capitalize the "B" you ask? Simple- I'm using it as a proper noun, not an adjective. My grandmother immigrated to the United States with her parents and siblings when she was just a little girl. As you may have guessed, they immigrated from Bohemia. (For those who don't know, Bohemia is a region in the Czech Republic) When she grew up, she married a man who was born here in the states, but both of whose parents were Bohemian. My grandparents both spoke Czech (Which was a source of constant amusement. When we were little, my grandparents would keep things from my sister and I by discussing them in Czech. One of these things was the possibility of a trip to the local playground, named "Kiddie Park." It would appear, however, that there is no Czech equivalent for "Kiddie Park" and thus they would simply insert the English words into their otherwise unintelligible dialogue. Whether this was a consequence of absentmindedness, or a desire to whip us into a frenzy, I do not choose to speculate on) and passed on a considerable amount of Bohemian culture (And, thankfully, quisine) to my mother, who you will note is also full-blood Bohemian.

Now, my mother did not marry another Bohemian (A source of some consternation for my grandparents, however briefly) but nevertheless, all this means that I am half-blood Bohemian.

So, no offense, but I'm pretty sure my Bohemian trumps your friends' bohemian.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drek,
About being Bohemian - you really just want to confess that it is you, not I, who is the Bohemian in Slag's life. The hot Belgian girlfriend only serves as a front for your own fiery relationship with said non-sociologist. And what you have been trying to say all along is that the introduction of Slag into your blog marks the introduction of Slag into your lovelife. Admit it - you know you want to. It's ok. Your parents will still love you.
Can I stop this embarrassing business of pretending to have an American boyfriend now? It's damaging my image.
S'sHBG

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 5:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even know why we're talking about Slag's girlfriend. As if Slag has a girlfriend, ha! We all know that Drek and Slag are the same person and that Drek invented Slag just so that we would think he had real friends to respond to his crazy opinions and bullshit.....you can't fool your loyal readers Drek!

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 8:55:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

S'sHBG: I think we've established that I am the Bohemian in Slag's life, but you, my dear, are clearly the bohemian in his life. I think that particular division of labor is perfectly satisfactory.

You're right, however, that my parents would still love me. In high school they actually believed for some time that I was gay- or so I assume from the quantity of "Dealing with your Gay Son" pamphlets I found lying about the house.

Nevertheless, while I do not disapprove of homosexuality in any way, I'm afraid Slag just isn't my type.

Anonymous: Shut the fuck up, Brayden. You know full well that Slag is a different person, and with luck we'll prove so at the ASAs in Philly. Until then, however, stay tuned: you can expect a few posts in the future on "How to tell Slag from Drek without using the handy tag at the end of the post that just tells your lazy punk ass. I mean, JESUS, we don't even sound remotely similar!"

On second thought, that's a really long title.

Thursday, April 28, 2005 1:54:00 PM  
Blogger Brayden said...

Can't I even post anonymously anymore without getting called out?

Friday, April 29, 2005 8:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter