Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

I'm surprised it took this long.

Folks who pay attention to the younguns over at Wisconversation (Yes, I know that isn't what they call it, but I like the name I use for reasons I've made quite clear) may have noticed a rather interesting little discussion taking place in their comments.

To wit, a senior undergraduate and aspiring Wisconsin sociology grad student is asking if the department is really as craptacular as it appears, based on the Wisconversation blog. So far the answers consist of, "No, it isn't, go read our formal recruitment materials," and, "Merciful god, yes, it sucks, run for the hills." I have no idea which of these is accurate, nor do I give much of a crap, but I do wonder why it's taken so long for this to happen. It was more or less inevitable that blogging play a role in how our departments are seen by those who do web searches on sociology- and that means aspiring grad students, among others.

If the Sconnie blog starts impacting recruitment, I suspect that the faculty might get interested. And that will cast the entire discussion of anonymity in blogging into a new light. Maybe we're about to find out if blogging can have real world consequences after all.

2 Comments:

Anonymous lago said...

I think there are a lot more prominent and significant ways to lose a candidate (from any university, not just Wisc) that will always outweigh blogging. I'm thinking particularly of Visit Day, or that moment when the admissions committee offers you no funding whatsoever.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 2:51:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

I rather suspect you're right, lago, but I'm not so interested in whether or not Wisconversation actually does influence recruitment, as I am in the effects on the wisconversants should their local faculty entertain the notion that it does. I doubt they will, and sincerely hope they don't, but doubt and hope are pretty uncertain terms.

Thursday, May 19, 2005 2:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter