Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Foreign Correspondent! (Oma is niet hier)

A while back, Drek wrote a silly post describing the saintedness of His Sainted Girlfriend by somehow comparing her to a recording from his basic German course in high school. So in that tradition, I will introduce our new Total Drek European Correspondent with the Dutch version of the very same lesson:

Oma is niet hier. Oma is niet hier. Oma is niet hier? Ja, oma is niet hier.

Actually, my grandmother is not here, but that's not the point. The point is that Dutch is a very fun language. The vocabulary is like a mix of German and English, but the grammar is very German. So, for example, you have sentences like this:

We willen dit jaar ons huis verven.
We want to paint our house this year.

Ik moet morgen de hele dag werken.
I have to work the whole day tomorrow.

But the best part of Dutch is the profanity. It's so wonderfully complex and amusing. Why call someone an asshole when you can call them a "mierenneuker" (ant fucker) or a "reetkever" (ass beetle) or a "kind van 3 homo's" (child of 3 gay men)? Why tell someone to fuck off when you can tell them to "eet pinguin poep, jij kontgraver" (eat penguin shit, you ass-digger)?

I can't believe I just wasted a whole paragraph talking about Dutch profanity. What is this, 6th grade? No, don't answer that.

The point of all this is to announce the first ever Total Drek European Correspondent, who will make her first post under my name tomorrow. She is, of course, my Hot Belgian Girlfriend. (I feel rather shallow describing her as "hot" when Drek describes his girlfriend as sainted, but I can assure you that my girlfriend is also sainted - but still hot.)

So, check this space tomorrow for a Total Drek perspective from a Belgian expatriate in Budapest, Hungary. In the meantime, as the Dutch-speaking Belgians would say,

Mijn vriendin is meer sexier, meer intelligenter, en meer aardiger dan uw, of enig vrouw in allen het heelal. En zij ga morgen in Total Drek schrijven.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes pumpkin, your beginners' Dutch is endearing. Not correct, exactly, but endearing.
S'sHBG

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 9:08:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

Pumpkin?

Oh, I'm gonna have me some fun with THAT one the next time Slag and I talk.

*snicker*

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 9:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drek, doll,

Sometimes I think you couldn't spot a bit of irony if it it you in the arse. However, do feel free to address Slag as "pumpkin". In fact please do by all means address him as pumpkin at every possible occasion. Let me know know how he reacts.

S'sHBG

Thursday, June 16, 2005 2:55:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

Is that irony that's been biting me on the ass all this time? Shit, I thought it was just fleas. Guess I don't need to clean my apartment after all.

I'll let you know how Pumpkin reacts, if and when I have the chance to use it.

Thursday, June 16, 2005 9:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter