Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The Total Drek Reader "Appreciation" Day!

You've all noticed by now that I have a blogroll. Now, this blogroll more or less just contains links to blogs that I read semi-regularly, or daily. This is essentially because I want to avoid accumulating a list of blogs that vastly exceeds my reading ability. It's a little like not putting citations in your references section that you haven't actually read. You know... except that I think we all do that thing with the references.

Every now and then, however, my blogroll sparks a new question in my mind: who the hell is bored enough to be reading me? This spark may sometimes fall into fertile tinder in my mind and grow into a raging inferno of curiosity that can only be doused by the cool water of a web search, or an indulgence in shitty metaphors. Such attempts at discovery, which usually involve googling myself, traditionally involve a mixture of the amusing, and the bizarre.

Oh for the love of- are you still laughing at that "googling myself," line? Christ, you're a bunch of children.

This last time, however, my search skipped amusing and bizarre and just went right into confusing. I seem to have accumulated readers from places I can't imagine, and many of them seem to have no obvious connections to each other.

There is, for example, the blog A Stop at Willoughby, which is written by a novelist named Patrick living in Virginia. I seem to be the only blog from the greater Sociology-blogging world included in Patrick's blogroll, so that isn't an obvious connection. Seeing as how I am not, myself, a novelist, or a resident of Virginia, I'm not sure what to say.

Then there's the Chris Bauer Media Project, which has the unfortunate distinction of sounding like either a social studies assignment, or a Coldplay album. All joking aside, however, I know that Chris found me via our mutual interest in sociology, and I have been meaning to add him to my blogroll for some time. So, I'm not so much curious about how he found me, as mentioning him here to make up for my long silence about his existence. Hey, look on the bright side Chris: it might take me a while to get you on the blogroll, but at least I mention it when I do.

This brings us to the enigmatic Observador Sociologico. I've actually known about the link from the O.S. for a while now, but haven't known what to say about it since I can't understand a damned thing on the blog. I've attempted to translate it using a number of online tools but... well... we all know what that's like. I am, of course, aware that this just points to the deficiencies in my American, mono-lingual, education, but I guess that's just tough. I mean, hell, given what my blog is like, I imagine being mono-lingual is the least of my educational deficiencies. In any case, I frankly wonder what a foreign-language sociology blog is doing linking to me. Providing a cautionary tale about Americans, perhaps?

I could discuss Semiquark, but that would require having a goddamn clue what to say. As it stands now, given the length of the blogroll in question, I'm guessing I was included more or less accidentally in much the same way that a blue whale may inadvertently swallow a few fish while straining the ocean for nourishing krill.

I've apparently made the more restricted reading list of Gaderian, who may have heard of me via my associates in the Wisconsin Blogging Circle, but who can say? In any case I'm flattered to be included in such a short list on such a nicely designed blog- even if I have only the vaguest idea why.

Finally, weighing in with possible connections via Wisconsin and Sociology we find Sarah Elizabeth of Stories from LA. As I said, I think we are probably connected via Wisconsin, but perhaps rather than an additional tie through sociology, we are actually linked via the esteemed Tom Bozzo who hails from our sister discipline of Economics. Who can know?

So, what does all this mean? Eh. Nothing really. Some of you will find yourselves entering my own blogroll. Others... perhaps not. We'll see. Hell, it'll largely depend on whether I can remember my blogroll password. What can I say? I forget things.

In the meantime, I'd like to bid all of you welcome. I don't know where the hell y'all came from, or why, but there's one thing I do know.

You're here now. Thanks for reading.

11 Comments:

Blogger scott said...

It's tough to find fresh, tasty krill, or good reading.

I found you by ego-googling, with a "related" search. Google may have noticed that we're both frustrated intellectuals who read SF. More likely, it noticed that Tom Bozzo blogrolls us both.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 1:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I googled blogs suck, and your website showed up. Good job.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 2:30:00 PM  
Blogger Tom Bozzo said...

...Yeah, because we're all frustrated intellectuals who read SF.

As for Sarah Elizabeth, my best guess is that the connection is through the 'Sconnie sociologysphere.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 2:30:00 PM  
Blogger Tom Bozzo said...

That was in reply to Scott, rather than 2:30 Anonymous, who probably actually googled "blog sucks."

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 2:34:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

Scott: Hey, it's good to be krill sometimes. All these little legs make it easy to reach that spot on my back that always itches.


Anonymous: I don't think anything could have made me prouder of my blog than what you just told me. Seriously.


Tom: You don't have to be a frustrated intellectual to read SF... but it helps. As for the rest of it- where would I be without Wisconsin, eh?

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 3:11:00 PM  
Blogger Brayden said...

Don't get too proud of yourself Drek. I just googled "blogs suck" and I couldn't find you anywhere in the first ten pages of returns. However, I did find this blog, which appears to be written by a like-minded soul.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:02:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

On the other hand, Brayden, if you type in "Blog Sucks," as Tom suggested, I'm at the top of the list. I find that heartwarming.


The list of shitty blogs does, indeed, warm my soul. I like to think, however, that my blog has reached a special level of sucking seeing as how I asserted its lack of quality from the very first moment.


Some things never change...

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 3:25:00 PM  
Blogger Sarahliz said...

I don't actually remember exactly how I found this blog. Probably it went something like found Tom Bozzo's blog from Jeremy Freese's blog, found your blog from Tom's.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:48:00 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

Call me Nate, by all means, and it's because I enjoy reading your blog, and do so on a more regular basis than others. I probably found it through my random blog link (or heck, that damn bar at the top of each); however, considering that the majority of random blogs nowadaze scream "ASSET PROTECTION" or "LEMON LAW DIRECTORY," it could very well be I was so pleased by your grammar and paragraphs that I stuck around.

Thursday, July 21, 2005 4:50:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

Hey Nate,

Thanks for the kind words. I never imagined my grammar, such as it is, would win me readers, but I suppose stranger things have happened. Thanks for dropping by!

Friday, July 22, 2005 10:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is remarkable, rather useful piece

Saturday, December 26, 2009 5:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter