Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

We interrupt our regularly scheduled blog-post...

Because I've just learned that I really need to get my fall book orders in ASAP. Since my department was nice enough to switch me to a new course at the last minute... again... I'm kinda harried just now.

Don't fret, however, loyal readers: I will provide for you some entertainment. In this case, far too much of it. People in my department often see me in my office, and it certainly appears as though I am constantly working. In reality, however, my day is peppered with 5-10 minute breaks. I work more than not, don't get me wrong, but I can only write so much STATA code before I need to mentally switch gears a bit. In any case, this habit means that I am constantly searching for new diversions that I can absorb in five minute chunks. For this, nothing is better than the internet.

As a consequence of this habit, and my internet connection, I have managed to do things ranging from researching Scientology, to reading through the archives of entirely too many web comics. Usually none of these things have kept me busy for more than a week or two.

Recently, however, I stumbled upon a website that has kept me busy for a solid month, and promises weeks more of brief, random diversion. What is this site, you ask?

Why, Orion's Arm of course. What is Orion's Arm? It's a collaborative effort to construct a more-or-less realistic future-history of the Human race for the next 10,000 years or so. As you might guess, there's rather a lot of material there.

So, hell, you may not have me for the day, but Orion's Arm has enough to keep you fascinated for the next few months. Have fun.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You disappoint me Drek. I expected better of you - to leave us without a post...how dare you?

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 11:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter