Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

See you in Philly?

Well, folks, it's that time of year again and I will shortly be departing for the fine city of Philadelphia in order to attend this year's American Sociological Association meeting. I know that Philly is supposed to be the city of "Brotherly Love," but, to be frank, from what folks have been telling me, I'm somewhat expecting it to be the armpit of the universe. Nevertheless my departure will come soon enough and you can expect me to be wandering semi-aimlessly around the hotel for most of the conference. This is largely because of my habit of preying upon unattended housekeeping carts. I just love those little soaps.

Some of you are no doubt wondering if I am participating in this year's presentations. Well, wonder away. I wouldn't dream of depriving you of the mystery. It's a pretty safe bet that I am but, then again, I'm somewhat delusional, so who knows? Hell, given that, any hypothetical presentation might be fabulously interesting! Watch for the presenter in the foil hat.

Sadly, while I'm away keeping in touch with the wider sociological world, I will be unable to keep in touch with the blogosphere. It's remotely possible that I might manage to access the web at some point between my departure tomorrow and my return, but I wouldn't hold my breath. With any luck Slag and the TDEC will manage to supply some posts before my return, but it's a tough call. They're busy people, and we can't chastise them too strongly if they fail to answer the call. So, in all likelihood, you'll have to do without your daily dose of Total Drek. Let me assure that, ultimately, you're better off for it.

Some of you may be planning to attend the Bloggers' Get-Together that is once again being organized by the brilliant, dedicated, and lovely Tina of Pub Sociology. I attended last year, and would like to attend this year but, alas, the time conflicts with other commitments. It's remotely possible I may arrive at some point, but we'll just have to see. That should, however, encourage you to attend and meet some of your favorite bloggers since your least favorite will probably be absent. For those who are truly obsessive, there's also the outside chance that the good and honorable Slag will be in attendance- in which case we can hardly blame him for not blogging!

And, in the meantime, if you must rely on this blog for some amount of enjoyment, please feel free to partake of a website that I learned of through an e-mail. What is this website, you ask? Well, let's just say that it's advertising a new product from the Purina corporation and is doing so in quite possibly the single most disturbing manner possible. Have no worries- this is largely work-safe.

Largely.

Good luck, kids! I'll see you pass you anonymously in the halls in Philadelphia!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well have fun Drek. I think. Is one supposed to have fun at these things? I am a little out of touch with the phenomenon of Sociological meetings/conferences. As for Philadelphia, I hardly even know where Philadelphia IS.

I am actually genuinely quite busy at the moment, as I am in the land of milk and honey (Belgium) which means that I am besieged by relatives and friends. Oh, and I am working too, thanks to the multinational and highly technological nature of my employer.

However.

Now that I have access to the BBC tv again and have been eating mussels, I can feel my brain coming out of hibernation; so if my non-descript corporate tasks are not too demanding I* may well manage another rant by Tuesday.

TDEC

*reflected in this blog as a sort of Slag/TDEC continuum. Do I find that disturbing? Not sure.

Friday, August 12, 2005 1:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter