Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Dear Drek

For those of you who hadn't noticed, I have never actually met Drek in the flesh. Once upon a time, Slag told me to read this blog that this friend of his did and that he occasionally participated in. Being a good, obedient sort of girl, I did as I was told and in fact got rather hooked. Now apart from being good and obedient I am also very opinionated and therefore ended up commenting quite often. The rest is history.

It is quite strange to blog with someone you don't actually know. Following the natural order of things I have nonetheless formed an image of our honourable host.
In order to explain the image I have to to tell you all about this conversation I had the other day about being weird. I was talking to Slag on the phone and saying that we are both fairly odd. We agreed, however, that the really strange people usually don't know that they are, in fact, completely bonkers. Similarly, the more loudly people proclaim that they are crazy, the more normal they tend to be when it comes down to it. Allow me to quote Margaret Thatcher on a different yet related topic:

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't. "

The point is that the image I have of Drek is in line with the opinions voiced above. When I first started reading this blog, its author would claim with great regularity that he was, in fact, an asocial bastard. He would probably have used another word, but that is beside the point. I came to believe that no one who so gladly proclaims himself to be a misanthropic asshole is likely to actually be one, though he may aspire to being one. To quote again, this time from an old favourite of mine:

"Nina Raymond: You've turned into an old sweetie, haven't you?
Henry Wakefield: No, I'm still a miserable git, and this is all a front to stop you from messing up my performance."

Maybe this is true; but I don't buy it for a minute. Drek, I just think you're a sweetie. I'll make it Decent Bloke if that makes you feel more, er, manly.

Slag, however, assures me that you really are a miserable git.

2 Comments:

Blogger Drek said...

Um... fuck you?

Well, maybe I'm not such a bad guy, but I'm sure as hell not copping to it, if so. Judge for yourself if and when we meet. I suppose I could always be exaggerating. Or that Slag is right.

I reckon I should thank you for posting today, though. Thanks to you I can delay Turner Tuesday volume IV until next week and, in so doing, avoid having to deal with chapter 5 for an extra week. Huzzah! This should, at least, reduce Tom's apparent concern for my sanity.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 12:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TDEC, you've hit the nail on the head. Don't listen to Drek and Slag... : )

-D's SGf

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 9:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter