Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

An Outpost of the Empire

Some of you may remember that I have another post with this same title. This is intentional. Wait - I will get to that.

As you may or may not know, I do like to be beside the seaside, especially when Slag's around. We have a thing with beaches. Maybe it is because my current home is so depressingly landlocked.
Anyway.
It so happened that Slag and self recently found ourselves in St Augustine, FL. St Augustine is what people call charming. Old, quaint, lots of palm trees and yes, an old fort. The reason why I mention St Augustine at all is because, somewhere in the educational video shown in the Castillo, it is referred to as "an outpost of the empire".

Being quite self-referential, I was instantly reminded of that post I did called "an outpost of the empire". It is, I think, quite interesting to think of anywhere in Florida as an outpost of any empire (in this case, of both the Spanish and, for a short while, the British empire). I quickly realised, though, that there is only one Empire of which St Augustine is an outpost, an Empire at least as powerful and influential as the EU.

I refer, of course, to Disney, and more specifically to Disney World.

When you land in Orlando International Airport it is the first thing to hit you. Everything is all bright and shiny and generally exuding happy holidayness and Mickey ears (is it possible to exude Mickey ears I hear you ask - have you been to Orlando?)
One in three people will be wearing or carrying some kind of Disney merchandise.

The number one question I get asked whenever I mention that I have visited Florida is did I go to Disney World? The fact that you are not surprised is yet more proof that Florida is indeed Disney Territory - not fully colonised yet, but getting there at an astonishing pace. Me, I just go there for the minigolf. Orlando is quite the best place to play minigolf on an idle evening in autumn. But that is beside the point.

The point is that, after five visits too Florida and four to Orlando I still haven't been too Disney World. Muhaha. No wonder we ended up hiding in St Augustine before heading north to Georgia, where the Disney ends. It is just too much happiness for one European girl to bear.

PS: Slag, pumpkin, I know this is a rambling post, but I am blaming you for necessitating all that transatlantic travel and jetlag.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter