Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Friday, October 07, 2005

Please keep in mind that I am not making this up.

For today's post I'm going to reproduce the text of an AFP news story about President George W. Bush. To see the original story, of course, click here. My reproduction will also include a photograph of President Bush that I, personally, think is strangely appropriate. I'd like to emphasize that the picture, as well, is authentic, and originally appeared in the Washington Post last November.

Let's begin:



Bush claimed God told him to invade Iraq, Afghanistan

LONDON (AFP) - US President George W. Bush allegedly said God told him to invade Iraq and Afghanistan, a new BBC documentary will reveal, according to details.

Bush made the claim when he met Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas and then foreign minister Nabil Shaath in June 2003, the ministers told the documentary series to be broadcast in Britain later this month.

The US leader also told them he had been ordered by God to create a Palestinian state, the ministers said.



Shaath, now the Palestinian information minister, said: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God.

'God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan'.'

"And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq...' And I did.

"'And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East.' And by God I'm gonna do it'," said Shaath.

Abbas, who was also at the meeting in the Egyptian resort of Sharm al-Sheikh, recalled how the president told him: "I have a moral and religious obligation.

"So I will get you a Palestinian state."

A BBC spokesman said the content of the programme had been put to the White House but it had refused to comment on a private conversation.

The three-part series, "Elusive Peace: Israel and the Arabs", charts the attempts to bring peace to the Middle East, from former US president Bill Clinton's peace talks in 1999-2000 to Israel's withdrawal from the Gaza strip.

The programme speaks to presidents and prime ministers, their generals and ministers, about what happened behind closed doors as the peace talks failed and the intifada grew.

The series is due to be screened in Britain on October 10, 17 and 24.


Now, on one level, this scares the ever living shit out of me. The reason, given that I am an atheist, should be obvious to anyone who knows what the word "atheist" means.

On another level this scares me because, let's face it, most of us can't exactly dismiss this report out-of-hand. Despite the natural inclination of some to doubt the sources of this account, I think most of us had at least a moment when we asked ourselves, "Is this correct?" And that's worrisome, because it indeed suggests that the idea that Bush is developing policy by talking to his own personal invisible friend is not all that farfetched.

Oh well, on the other hand, Bush is hardly the only leader to develop policy based on religious prescriptions. Hell, entire governing groups have used chats with god to make decisions, and look how well that's turned out.

He must be proud to be in such good company.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you have to remember is that Bush is talking to the one True God, and all those other guys are just listening to socially prescribed norms maskerading as the one True God.

Of course the fact that it is the same god makes the previous distinction a little hard to understand, but if you try real hard you can forget about it, and just assume I'm right. Because God to me to write this comment.

Friday, October 07, 2005 10:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter