Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Monday, November 28, 2005

Giving Thanks

It is 24/11/05. I am in a hospital in Budapest, in Buda to be precise. It is a snowy day here.

I have my laptop with me.

It seems like the perfect time to write a post about how people who live in foreign countries are, essentially, stupid. Or about the Hungarian medical system.

As it is, I could complain about Hungarian hospitals, but it seems futile to do so in an American blog. The fact, you see, is that while I have no tv, no phone and hardly any access to English speaking staff, I am being treated.

Let me explain what I mean when I say that. In the three days that I have spent in two different hospitals over the last two weeks I have had:

- 4 blood tests
- 3 urine tests
- 2 X-rays
- 3 ultrasounds, 2 abdominal, 1 gynaecological
- 2 normal gynaecological exams

I have been seen by:

- at least 5 GPs
- 2 gynaecologists
- 1 urologist
- 1 reumatologist
- 2 gastro-intestinal doctors
- 2 surgeons

This is not including nursing staff or technicians. Moreover I have received all this treatment, including one overnight stay (which I really didn’t want) entirely free of charge, though „free” is a dubious concept in a country where people like me pay 50% tax.

I could complain that the doctors here are particularly incommunicative. I have been here for 18 hours and no one is telling me much, especially today. I am being kept here for unclear reasons and for an unspecified duration. All this while I feel fine, with only the slightest abdominal pressure/pain.

One of my American friends, recently in hospital with a heart complaint, told me about how the nurses would completely ignore her and refuse to answer questions; perhaps medical staff are just not very forthcoming generally. I wouldn’t know would I? I haven’t been to hospital (for myself) since I was six.

Perhaps I should be grateful for all this incomprehensible care.

The truth is that I just want to go home. I want them to tell me what I have and stop sticking needles in me. The one permanently attached to my arm (though I haven’t been given a drip) is itching like hell. Also I want people to stop prodding me in painful places and then tell me to relax. Finally, it would be nice if people could stop poking me with random objects.

Yes?

Thank you.

If I post this then the good news is that they have released me. Fingers crossed.

PS: I did actually get released last Thursday, if only temporarily. The rest of the story will follow as soon as I can find time to write it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Slag said...

UPDATE!!!

I spoke to the TDEC by Instant Messenger at work this morning. She is out of the hospital, back to work, and feeling fine.

But the doctors still don't know what's wrong with her.

She's going in for a CT scan on December 5th. She or I will keep you updated.

TDEC, if you're reading this... I love you, snugglemoose.

Monday, November 28, 2005 10:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter