Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

"I didn't mean what I said then because I was trying to get a job..."

"But now, for this job, I'm, like, totally telling the truth."

Or, in any case, so goes the response of Samuel Alito to concerns about his views on abortion. I mentioned the revelation that Alito has come out fairly strongly against abortion rights. Today he responds to these revelations. As reported on in the New York Times:

Seeking to tamp down a political uproar over a 1985 document in which he denounced racial quotas and said the Constitution did not protect the right to abortion, Judge Samuel A. Alito Jr. told senators on Tuesday that the sentiments were simply the views of "an advocate seeking a job."

...

"He said first of all it was different then," said one of the two, Senator Dianne Feinstein of California. "He said, 'I was an advocate seeking a job, it was a political job and that was 1985. I'm now a judge. I've been on the circuit court for 15 years, and it's very different. I'm not an advocate; I don't give heed to my personal views. What I do is interpret the law.' "


I'm divided as to what to think here. On the one hand I can understand how we sometimes talk ourselves up in interesting ways for job applications. Further, I respect and appreciate someone who is capable of changing their mind with experience. Intellectual honesty and open-mindedness would seem to be desirable properties in a supreme court justice. On the other hand, George W. Bush is about as conservative as they come, and the defeat of his previous candidate clearly revealed the strength of the extreme right wing of his own party. So... I guess I'm inclined to doubt Alito's excuse on this matter.

Besides, given Slag's recent post I'd say it's fairly clear this administration forgets, alters, and ignores the facts as it suits them. So, thanks for the effort Sammy, but I'm still not impressed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Who am I to talk? I've lied to increase the visibility of my blog posts.

But this one is different. I'm not lying now. Trust me.

Drek, I served with Samuel Alito. I knew Samuel Alito. Samuel Alito was a friend of mine. Drek, you're no Samuel Alito.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 11:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter