Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

A surprisingly joyous Total Drek announcement

Greetings, loyal readers! From time to time, we interrupt our general ramblings about current events and scientific facts to insert specific ramblings about our personal lives. Here is a big and important personal rambling, then: the TDEC and I are getting married.

Here's how it happened. I was visiting her in Budapest, before flying to Belgium to see her family for Christmas. One of the TDEC's favorite cities is Vienna, only three hours by train from Budapest. One of the TDEC's favorite places in Vienna is the Palmenhaus, a 19-th century personal greenhouse converted into a restaurant. We had been there before, but I told the TDEC that I really wanted to go again. We made plans to take the 6 AM train to Vienna, arriving at 9.

The train was packed. The only place to sit was in the dining car, so we ordered tea and orange juice and stared out the window. We played silly trivia games (we're geeks) and watched the sunrise near the Hungary-Austria border. The whole time I knew I was planning on proposing when we got to the Palmenhaus, but I was determined not to look nervous lest I give away my intentions.

We arrived at the station and took the subway to Stephansplatz (St. Stephen's Square), then walked to the Palmenhaus. Now, I started to get very very nervous. But the TDEC, God bless her, still suspected nothing. When we arrived at the Palmenhaus, I suggested we order the same thing we did last time we were there: tea, yogurt, fresh fruit, and croissants with marmalade. Ostensibly this was because the breakfast was so good, but actually it was just so we could get the ordering done as fast as possible and move on to more important things. But then the TDEC had to go to the bathroom, leaving me there twiddling my thumbs nervously.

But then she returned and sat down. I took her hand, looked into her eyes, and asked her to marry me. She said yes. Huzzah!

Because we had been scrupulously avoiding the topic of marriage for so long, I didn't have a ring (I didn't even know her ring size). I did have a necklace for her, purchased in the U.S. Actually, I didn't have the necklace either - British Airways lost my luggage. So I had nothing to offer; I just asked her to marry me. The suitcase, with necklace, showed up the next day.

Our plan is to have a simple civil wedding in a small town in Belgium, as soon as we can get all the paperwork together. Then, we will begin the Lovecraftian nightmare of U.S. Immigration. After the TDEC is in the U.S. and working (which could be two years... vexing) and we've saved up some money, we'll have a larger, religious ceremony in Orlando.

So, yes, My Hot Belgian Girlfriend is now My Hot Belgian Fiancee, soon to be My Hot Belgian Wife. And, two of the three Total Drek bloggers are getting married. I think we've chosen the right two.

As a brief editorial note: I adjusted the date/time stamp of this post to place it on Thursday. No particular reason, really... it just saves me from having to write something for a day. -Drek

2 Comments:

Blogger Drek said...

I told you before, and I'll tell you again: congratulations!

You didn't get her drunk or something, right?

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 10:56:00 PM  
Blogger Tom Volscho said...

Congratulations!

Friday, January 20, 2006 9:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter