Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Friday, February 03, 2006

In which Slag responds to yesterday's post by the TDEC

I had a serious and thoughtful post planned for today, but I feel I have to respond to the TDEC's post from yesterday. You know, the one where she reveals her random celebrity crushes. If she can make such a post, then I am morally obligated to make an equally silly symmetric post. So here it is, off the top of my head and in completely random order, the list of celebrities that I find attractive:

1. Keira Knightley: of course. In spite of her advanced Britishness and the fact that she's a bit too skinny for my taste, she is a very attractive woman. I first noticed her in Bend It Like Beckham (where most people first noticed her), and of course her career has since taken off. She has really beautiful eyes and is very shapely.

2. Kerri Walsh: U.S. Olympic beach volleyball star. I must admit to having a thing for athletes. Her teammate gets all the attention, but Ms. Walsh is much more my type. She has a very cute nose and a cute smile. And of course, she competes in a bikini. Very sexy.

3. Claire Danes: I didn't originally fall for Ms. Danes per se, but rather for her character of Angela Chase on the short-lived ABC series My So-Called Life. "Angela" was 15 and I was 16, and we both had the existential angst and self-doubt that most people have when they're 15 or 16. Angela was a beautiful girl that I could relate to and identify with at a time when I was still scared of girls. I've followed Ms. Danes's career since, and it's pretty much jumped the shark, but she's still a beautiful actress who seems humble enough to identify with.

4. Miranda Otto: somewhat obscure Australian actress who played Eowyn in the Lord of the Rings trilogy (2nd and 3rd movies). As with Claire Danes, I think my crush was more on the character than on the actress - an intelligent, self-confident queen who kicked a lot of Sauron ass.

5. Brigit Prinz: star of Germany's women's World Cup soccer team. See the above entry about my feelings for athletes. I think Ms. Prinz is a horrible person for scoring the final goal in Germany's 3-0 win over the U.S., but wow is she hot. As one would expect from a soccer player, she has great legs.

6. Kim Clijsters: Belgian tennis star. I guess that in addition to having a thing for athletes, I have a thing for Belgians. Actually, the TDEC and I disagree about Ms. Clijsters - she doesn't see what the attraction is. But it's obvious to me - she (I meant Ms. Clijsters, but this applies to the TDEC as well) is stylish, graceful, and sexy at the same time.

7. Ingrid Bergman, circa 1942: I wish I could jump in a time machine and meet Ms. Bergman around the time she made Casablanca. She had so much style and class, and just a trace of mystery behind her Swedish accent.

Will I now declare my undying love for the TDEC? Of course. I love her more than I ever imagined I could love anyone. But I think the point she made yesterday is absolutely right - if I can't tell her (and, er, the millions of you reading Total Drek) about a few harmless celebrity crushes, how can we ever survive the really difficult times in our relationship, when we'll have to be perfectly honest and open with each other? I should save my energy for the real problems that arise in any relationship, and my guilt feelings for things that I actually do to feel guilty about.

5 Comments:

Blogger TDEC said...

Still don't understand about Kim Clijsters; but Ingrid Bergman, oooh, nice.

Chuk - I am afraid that I do understand about Johnny Depp. He's got personality and charisma. But it's hardly worth arguing about...

D'sSG - well, I am very bad at shutting up about anything, but don't like monologues, and as a consquence I usually manage to badger Slag about into talking about this silly stuff. He doesn't seem to mind.

Friday, February 03, 2006 3:11:00 AM  
Blogger Slag said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Friday, February 03, 2006 9:14:00 AM  
Blogger Slag said...

TDEC - tragically, we must agree to disagree about Kim Clijsters.

D'sSGF - I can confirm that the TDEC finds it difficult to stop talking about anything, or indeed to stop talking at all. It is really quite endearing.

TDEC - Thanks for bringing up such a silly topic. I love you, snugglepumpkin!

*Note: the snugglepumpkin line was intended to be humorous

Friday, February 03, 2006 9:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TDEC, Slag, and other loyal Total Drek fans: What do you say? Why don't we all flood Drek with requests to post his quirky crushes? (Yes, I know this is parly a vain attempt on my part to get some unimportant information, but why not try? I tried this morning at breakfast, to no avail.)

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:19:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

She really did try at breakfast, actually. She started with an "I don't know why men find Keira Knightley so attractive," approach and broached the subject by asking, "Do you get why? What's it all about?"

Honestly, my Sainted Girlfriend is so cute when she thinks she's being subtle.

And as a side note: this blog is starting to feel a little like an adolescent slumber party. Are we going to start calling the people on these lists and then hang up?

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter