Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Friday, February 10, 2006

Possibly the dumbest thing I've ever done.

Recently there's been a lot of discussion of celebrity crushes on this blog. The TDEC got us started with a post detailing the men she finds appealing. This was, predictably, followed by Slag's attentive response, which gave us a look at his favorites. I'm sure we were all quite amused by their choices, as well as by trying to find a consistent pattern to them. Or, alternatively, we barely cared and largely refrained from any deep analysis.

In the process of all this discussion, however, an issue has been raised. Specifically, some interest has been expressed as to the names that would appear on my own list. This issue was first raised in a comment from my Sainted Girlfriend, who was amazed at the TDEC's ability to learn about Slag's preferred celebrity women. My Sainted Girlfriend then mourned that she was entirely ignorant of my preferences, due to my habitual reticence. When Slag responded to the TDEC with his list, my Sainted Girlfriend attempted to trick me into spilling the beans but was, indeed, thwarted.

Sadly, however, this has not ended the matter. My Sainted Girlfriend continues to probe me on the subject and, it seems, some of those poor souls who read this blog are also curious. So, I'm faced with a dilemma as to what to do.

To be honest, some of my reluctance to tackle this matter stems from what my Sainted Girlfriend has identified as my natural reticence. Despite my somewhat flamboyant nature when blogging, I do tend to be remarkably closed-mouthed about a variety of issues. This happens to be one of them since I've never thought people would be interested in my own creepy lusts. At the same time, there is a deeper reason for my reticence here: the impact such a disclosure might have on my home life.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that my Sainted Girlfriend would get angry at me or anything. In truth, I think she's about as annoyed at my continuing success in keeping the information to myself as she can get. Moreover, despite her many virtues, she has a tendency to get... um... cranky first thing in the morning, so I'm rather accustomed to dealing with a certain amount of annoyance from my Sainted Girlfriend. Nor do I think that such a set of revelations would actually upset my Sainted Girlfriend. She has no particular worries (that I am aware of) about my fidelity, and so I don't think she would be threatened by my silly crushes.

No, my concern is this: my lovely, charming, Sainted Girlfriend has a bad habit of being very critical of herself. This tendency extends to her appearance, treatment of other people, treatment of animals, treatment of inanimate objects, work performance, phonecalls with her family, the loudness of her chewing, and so on. This habit leads my Sainted Girlfriend to be one of the most generous and giving people that I have ever met, but it also plagues her with a considerable amount of uncertainty and, from time to time, doubts about her own self-worth. I spend a small, but noticeable, amount of time trying to convince my Sainted Girlfriend that she does have a great deal of worth, and generally I think she does feel good about herself. If I should disclose the identities of my celebrity crushes, I worry that it might provide something new for her to obsess over. This something would, of course, be far worse than most since it would have its roots in my own stated opinions. I can foresee quite a bit of over-analysis that will do nothing beneficial for her, and will annoy the ever living shit out of me.

I am left with a dilemma: the devil I know (i.e. my Sainted Girlfriend's growing annoyance) or the devil I do not know (i.e. her potential frustration and anxiety). So, in the grand tradition of the internet, I'm going to do something very, very dumb. I'm going to let y'all decide.

There's a new poll in the sidebar (For those who are curious, my new professional name will be Dr. Drek Deathstrike. Thanks for helping!) where you can register your opinion. Vote early, vote often, and we'll see what happens. Your choice is simple:

(1) Spare my Sainted Girlfriend and I a whole lot of grief.

(2) Subject us both to a lot of unpleasantness to satisfy your own selfish need for entertainment.

Choose wisely.

Yeah, like I don't know already what you're going to pick. You egotistical fuckers.

Quasi-Confidential to Brayden and the FHR: I know what y'all are going to do, but would you at least restrict yourselves to one vote each?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have absolutely nothing to do if it were not for my well paid job of making your life harder.

How many times do you think I can vote in one minute?

FHR

Friday, February 10, 2006 11:06:00 AM  
Blogger TDEC said...

Looks like you've guilt tripped most people into abstaining from voting. And here I was thinking that your readers had no souls.

All the same, my opinion is well-known so I will probably resist the temptation to vote. It's your blog, you decide.

BTW, have you noticed that it is usually the frivolous posts that draw the most attention? And I do write serious things.

Monday, February 13, 2006 5:11:00 AM  
Blogger Slag said...

I think I'll do both you and your Sainted Girlfriend a favor by refraining from voting in this poll.

But I must say that I am proud of the TDEC for stirring up so much trouble with such an innocuous post.

Monday, February 13, 2006 10:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter