Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Random objects of desire

Since I have gotten engaged, a number of people have expressed the opion that I should curb my expression (or feelings) of appreciation for, mostly, filmstars. I think this is very silly, and in fact quite amusing. In protest to this idea that in an engagement/marriage (as opposed to an "ordinary" relationship) one should be entirely blind to the esthetic merits of the rest of humanity, I am hereby posting a list, in mostly random order, of objects of my passing desire.

1. Sam West: of course. I love him unconditionally and in fact before hooking up with Slag had a conversation with a friend about the Slag vs Sam West merits. Slag won by a noselength.
2. Clive Owen: I'm not usually into manly men, but here is something special. Really very sexy, esp. actually, in Sin City, which I otherwise hate with a passion and never ever want to see any part of again.
3. Joaquin Phoenix: Not so much now, more at the time of Gladiator and Quills. I have something with fictional bad guys/repressed men.
4. James Spader: Because he is the perfect mixture of weird, nasty, repressed and sensitve. Oooh. Especially in Secretary and Sex, Lies and Videotape
5. Alan Rickman: Not just because I love Snape anyway (and I do) but because Rickman is a great actor, an intelligent man and apparently a nice. Very sexy and great in period dress or robes.
6. Jonathan Rhys-Myers: He is Irish. By the looks of things (and Irish men) he used up all the good stuff in the Cork genepool. He makes a wonderful bad guy.
7. Jake Gyllenhaal: Because of Jarhead. The man looks great naked.
8. Gary Oldman: Like Rickman, he makes being a fabulous actor look so damn good. And I started listening to Beethoven because of him.
9. Owen Wilson: I admit, I caved. Not handsome really, but really cute
10. Robert Downey Jr.: Puppydog eyes. What can I say?
etc.
And that's just off the top of my head.

Shall I lovingly declare that I prefer Slag to any of the above on any given day? Of course I do. Maybe not to combinations of the above. Alan Rickman and Jonny Rhys-Myers? Gary Oldman, Sam West and James Spader? Or even Robert Downey Jr turning up at my flat in a nice suit?
Well, I feel that these are sufficiently statistically unlikely not to be threatening.
The point is that I believe that the more repressed I have to be about my fleeting fancy for, say, Clive Owen, the less likely I am to be able to talk to my partner if there ever is any real issue. If my attraction to Joaquin Phoenix constitutes some weird kind of infidelity, then, man, the rest of my life is going to be very guilt-ridden. I think I'd rather save my emotions for the real problems any relationship and meanwhile continue to discuss Sam West (my side) and Keira Knightly (his side) with Slag.

And, er, Drek, yeah, I know this is a ridiculously girly post. Your fault for giving strangers access to your blog, especially women.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Kieran said...

By the looks of things (and Irish men) he used up all the good stuff in the Cork genepool.

WTF??

Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:45:00 AM  
Blogger TDEC said...

It just always seemed to me that Irish men were terribly unattractive generally whereas the women were quite goodlooking. Maybe I just had a bad sample.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:50:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

You say that like it's bad, TDEC. Write all the girly posts you want. Hell, write a week's worth of 'em. I'll be more than happy to not write for five days.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 11:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TDEC, I'm amazed that you can get Slag to tell you who he thinks is hot in the first place. I will probably never know what Drek thinks of the women flashing across the silver screen. He's a bit reticent about sharing that information, but come to think about it, he's reticent with a lot of things. ; ) - D'sSGf

Thursday, February 02, 2006 6:44:00 PM  
Blogger Chuk said...

i got in a pretty heated argument with a girlfriend once because i couldn't see what she saw in johnny depp, and she couldn't see what i saw in gwyneth paltrow... i mean brad pitt, now he's hot, but depp? that's just weird.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 11:53:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

You know, what amuses me about my Sainted Girlfriend's lack of knowledge about my opinion of celebrity hawtness is that I am not quite as ignorant of her own.

Even if some of them are a tad obscure.

Friday, February 03, 2006 8:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your site while doing a search for Sexy

Celebrities
. Though not exactly what I was looking for your site still gave me an enjoyable read. Good job! Thanks.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter