Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Worst. Name. Ever.



I'd just like to point out that there's a skater in this year's winter olympics who is named, "Slutskaya."



I have to be honest, I think that may be one of the most unfortunate names for a female figure skater that I've ever heard. It's a little like the feminist scholar who is named, "Cockburn." If you don't see the humor in that, then you know how the name is supposed to be pronounced- try saying it like a male chicken, and what happens when you light something on fire.

There ya' go.

Still, this is better than the last summer Olympics, where a commentator referred to a Chinese female gymnast (who looked all of six years old) by saying: "Uh-oh, I think she just broke the cute-meter." The inappropriateness of this remark was only surpassed by another commentator who asked the aforementioned gymnast, after her routine, "What's it like to be inside your body right now?"

Amidst her confusion, one of my buddies interjected, "Hot and squishy."

Indeed, a great day for sports.

So, you think this post is juvenile? Well that makes sense, as it is. Absurdly juvenile. I chalk it up to the fact that I'm really busy, and it was easy to write this. Oh, that, and because I'm a fucking child.

8 Comments:

Blogger Slag said...

Slutskaya (giggle) is one of the favorites to win gold, and she is currently in second place after the short program.

Here's what
her bio page
on NBCOlympics.com has to say:


"The bubbly Muscovite is a popular entertainer in her country.

Watch her perform!"

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 9:28:00 AM  
Blogger Slag said...

Oops, I posted the wrong link to the bio page.

Here is
the correct link
.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 9:30:00 AM  
Blogger TDEC said...

At least you guys can watch figure skating. I miss watching figure skating. And olympic hockey. My thoughts are with you, Wayne.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 9:51:00 AM  
Anonymous sarahliz said...

Inquiring naive midwestern minds* want to know: how do you pronounce Cockburn such that it doesn't involve lighting male chickens on fire and thus isn't funny?

*yeah, I know, that's disengenous since my inquiring mind left the midwest 5 years ago. Nonetheless the question still holds.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

And an answer is, indeed, forthcoming, Sarahliz!

It's actually pronounced coh-burn, with a long "O" sound.

Ah, the psychotic vagaries of the English language.

As a side note: are you still blogging? I haven't checked your site lately, but my aggregator hasn't picked up anything from you in a loooong time.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Slag said...

Here's another athlete with an unfortunate name.

And here is his official website.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 2:55:00 PM  
Anonymous sarahliz said...

Are you using the right rss feed? The feed changed six months back or so. For awhile I was manually updating the old feed, but stopped doing it.
Use http://www.sliz.net/sliz.xml
But I only post about once a month.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 4:38:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

That's got it. Thanks for the update.

I mean, I suppose I could have gone looking, but between my aggregator and the infrequently-updating blogs... well... sometimes you don't realize at first when you haven't heard from someone in a while.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 5:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter