Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Alternatives

Well, to change the subject...
As you heard some time ago I am getting married. It will be at least another year until the religious wedding, and I am very glad about this. You see, I am terrible at organising and a traditional protestant wedding had never crossed my mind as an option. Actually, to be fair, it did cross my mind once when I was fifteen and I figured that if the guy was Scottish and possesed of a kilt (and castle?) then I was game for a protestant ceremony.

However.

Here I am more than ten years on trying to repress my dread at the prospect, not of being married, but of getting married. I believe it is traditional to do things the other way around, but there you go, I never was any good at fitting in.

I don't believe in having ceremonies that "borrow" traditions from radically different cultures. It just looks a bit silly, all these western couples undergoing traditional buddhist ceremonies because they're so pretty. I believe a wedding, whatever form it takes, should be rooted in either partner's tradition and beliefs. Practically speaking: don't have a hindu wedding if neither of you is a hindu; and especially, don't have a christian wedding unless at least one of you is a practicing christian. Religion should not be like your fanciest knickers - you need to wear it for more than birthdays and special occasions.

However.

Then I see pictures of a traditional Igbo wedding, or a Japanese ceremony and I think damn why can't I have that? Or something like this. Flowers and beads, bright colours and gourd-shaped wedding cakes, and I think Yes. It's not too late to decide to get married in Vegas*.

*yes, I am just kidding. Well, mostly anyway. And not about the flowers, beads and bright colours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter