Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

"Some days you sodomize the crab..."

"...and some days the crab sodomizes you." So went a saying at my former place of employment- the place I worked before I came to grad school. While the vulgarity of this expression is, indeed, rather striking, it is primarily a reflection of how much my officemate and I hated our employment as well as our employer. Many, many days at work did I feel as though I were being sodomized by a large crustacean. Even more disheartening, having a "good" day at work felt much like sodomizing a crab- in other words, it wasn't something you really wanted, left you feeling dirty, and it kinda hurt.

No, this doesn't mean I've actually sodomized crabs. Use your imaginations, people.

In any case, this job lent my officemate and I a certain amount of creativity. He expressed it by producing a series of MS-Paint masterpieces, most of which were subtle allegories about our boss. I include one below for your edification:



It also spawned a variety of office games, such as: who could start the most long and pointless arguments during meetings, the development of ridiculous sayings, and the finding of various monkey pictures to hang on our office bulletin board. Monkeys were our favorite animal because they reminded us of our boss. Believe it or not, various family and friends got into the act, sometimes sending us monkey pictures from across the country. I include a picture of the infamous board here:



I bring all this up not to bitch about my work experience, although that's fun, but as a preface to introducing a rather fascinating little video game named "Disaffected." This game is available here and is described as:

Disaffected! gives the player the chance to step into the demotivated position of real FedEx Kinkos employees. Feel the indifference of these purple-shirted malcontents first-hand, and consider the possible reasons behind their malaise -- is it mere incompetence? Managerial affliction? Unseen but serious labor issues?

...

Disaffected! is an arcade-style game with fast action and high replayability. The player controls one or more employees behind the counter at a typical copy store. As each level starts, customers enter the store through the front doors and line up behind the cashiers at the counters. The player must try to find and deliver each customer's order. Obstacles include confused employees, employees who refuse to work, employees who move orders around indiscriminately so the player cannot find them. A complete in-game tutorial walks the player through both one-and two-player gameplay.


Now there is a game I can appreciate! I may not have been working customer service, but I spent far too much time dealing with a variety of obstacles that simply should not have existed. Indeed, to refer to my officemate and I as "disaffected," would be a serious understatement.

So, is this game good? I have no idea. I haven't had the time to play. The screenshots look promising, however, and I think we can all stand a game that is honest about work. Or, at least, the work many of us have done in the past. Go ahead and check it out! There are PC and Mac versions available, so there should be nothing holding you back.

Enjoy!

Sorry about the lateness of this post- blogger has been pissy about photographs today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Volscho said...

"Yeah. It's just that we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports *before* they go out now. So if you could just remember to do that from now on, that'd be great."

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 6:22:00 PM  
Blogger Brayden said...

More old work stories, please! I need to laugh today.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 8:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter