Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Monday, May 22, 2006

It's good to know what my readers find interesting.

Recently, one of my loyal readers was nice enough to forward an interesting tidbit of news along to me. Okay, let me rephrase that. One of my usual readers was bored enough to forward a news blurb to me for reasons that are nearly beyond comprehension. In any case, because I'm running behind and it may set the stage for another post later in the week,* I reproduce this blurb in its entirety below.

From the National Post of Vancouver from Saturday, April 29, 2006:

Bra producers have been forced to offer bigger cup sizes in China because improved nutrition is busting all previous chest-measurement records. "It's so different from the past when most young women would wear A- or B-cup bras," Triumph brand saleswoman Zhang Jing told the Shanghai Daily from the Landmark Plaza of China's commercial hub. "You never expect those thin women to have such nice figures if they are not plastic." The report, seen on the daily's Web site, said the Hong Kong-based lingerie firm Embry Group no longer produces A-cups for larger chest circumferences and has increased its production of C-, D- and E-cup bras to meet pressing demand. [Emphasis in original]


Lest you think this is a joke, there are corroborating (sort of) online sources:



...

Taiwanese underwear brand Ordifen is another to act quickly.

Feng Wei, an official with the Ordifen's design, development and research department, said the company began making more C-cup products last year based on sales feedback and an internal survey.

"We make and sell products differently in various areas based on data collected in those places," said Feng. "For a time we only made A and B-cup bras for many categories of products but now C-cups have become a major focus especially in big cities like Shanghai and Beijing."

While there are no numbers to prove breast are growing quicker in large cities than underdeveloped areas, many salespeople say they have noticed that trend.

As sales of larger bras are busting out, Embry opened special counters for its bigger-cup bras under the sub-brand Comfort in February and is planning to set more of such outlets around the nation.

The Beijing Institute of Clothing Technology released a report last week saying the average chest circumference of Chinese woman has hit 83.53 centimeters, up nearly 1cm from the early 1990s. The growth trend is credited to women eating more nutritiously and taking part in more sports.


I find it fascinating that there is a "Beijing Institute of Clothing Technology," and that, as it happens, it's decided to devote research money to breast size questions. I also find it interesting that this news is, well, news.

As for why I'm commenting on it... eh. It's sort of amusing, and may have interesting sociological implications. Besides, as we all know, I live for the excuse to blog about breasts.

And how is this related to blogging later in the week? Well, just wait and see.

* Okay, I'll come clean. I also just figured that the FHR might find this information quite interesting.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Susan said...

Degrading? Oh, if you want to see Degrading, I suggest you go to RateMyRack.com. A true death knell for women's rights issues eveywhere.
On another note, You Go China. Boobs or not, it's nice that the Chinese are being fed better.
Oh, and Slag? You used to pull my bathing suit top down all the time, so quit trying to look soooo innocent. :)

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 5:57:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

I never said this was degrading. Actually, if larger breast sizes are becoming more common then I certainly think it is in the interest of women to have access to appropriately sized bras. I just think it odd that this counts as news.

Perhaps I will do some... um... research at this rack-rating website you speak of. You know... when I'm not using the University internet access.

And I'm suddenly wondering about your precise level of acquaintence with Slag. Then again, he always was the Mack-Daddy in college. Or so I've been led to believe!

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter