Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Statz 4 Life!

Those who know me, or read this blog from time to time, have likely gleaned that I am fond of mathematics. In fact, I rather proudly identify myself as a Quantoid in the finest tradition of the term. While the work I have produced has been, to date, rather limited it can all be described as highly quantitative in nature.

Now, this preference doesn't mean that I entirely reject the usefulness of qualitative work- in point of fact I have previously written a brief parable summing up their symbiotic relationship- but I do really prefer the sweet joy of a stats package to that of the in-depth interview. Yet, regardless of my fondness for statistics, it pales by comparison to the good people I am going to bring to your attention today.

Thanks to my Sainted Girlfriend and her close friend Alyssa (Who is a Ph.D. student in Psychology and a fellow quantoid) I have become aware of a most remarkable thing: a rap video about statistics.

No, I'm really not kidding. It was, apparently, produced by a group of grad students who share my fondness for numbers and can be found here.

Notable lyrics include:

"I got, like, correlation, t-tests and even chi-square.
I use stats every day- like I'm combing my hair!

Populations or samples, you can tell by notation. I work it all out, cause it's all in the equation.

Cause when I find a correlation that's description...

DESCRIPTION!

...the regression line's for prediction...

PREDICTION!

I got a one-way ANOVA, do you know what that means? I got three or more independent levels on the scene..."


And so on. This is, hands down, the awesomest thing on the internet. Go watch it.

Seriously.

And, as long as we're on the subject, I'd just like to invite Jeremy Freese and the rest of the Sconnie Karaoke Crew to prepare a rendition of this for the meetings in Montreal. I think it would be a pretty good way to keep people entertained while we're waiting for the presidential address.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brayden said...

Wow, that is exactly what my Monday morning needed!

favorite line - "goodness of fit and independence, it's like Kool and the Gang"

Monday, June 26, 2006 9:32:00 AM  
Blogger jeremy said...

I missed this. I will not be doing any cover hip-hop songs at the ASA meetings. I may do some freestyle rap, however.

Sunday, July 02, 2006 11:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any chance you could put up all the lyrics?!

Friday, December 08, 2006 4:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter