Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Friday, July 21, 2006

End of the road: Little Caesar's and the rankings

The last entrant is Little Caesar's. I remember them from the “Pizza! Pizza!” deal days when you could get two pizzas pretty cheap. This led to me rating them as the best pizza to microwave the next day. The others ended up too soggy. I really don't remember how they were fresh from the store.

The cheese was very white. All the others were slightly more orange. It was fairly oily, per the paper towel test, but still less than Papa John's. There were no signs of melted shreds, though it was off center. The ham was on top of the cheese and slightly toasted on the edges.

The crust was nothing to get excited about. It was fairly weak, deflecting not quite 90 degrees. It did have some type of seed on the bottom like Domino's, but they were larger and less in number. There was very little toasting on the bottom. The crust edges were fairly tasteless but of good consistency. They would go well with a sauce, but on their own they're pretty bland.

The taste test wasn't bad, but after the train wreck from Hungry Howie's shoe leather would have tasted good. It's about the same as some of the mid grade pizzas you can get at the supermarket. There was little that would be noticed particularly as far as individual flavors. It was a bunch of cheese with some bread and a little sauce. I think a spicier sauce would make it better, but overall there's really nothing to get excited about.

I really don't know what to say about the Little Caesar's offering. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. They do have the Crazy Sauce which I remember as pretty good though I did not get any of it this time. I'd eat it, but I'd rather spend the money on something else.

Okay, so let's count it down top 40 style.

Worst, no surprise here, is Hungry Howie's. Seriously who do I talk to about getting their licenses revoked. I've seen wars start over less.

Fourth place goes to Little Caesar's. Again, they're not bad, but my money is better spent elsewhere.

Third place to Pizza Hut. I'm still disappointed, but definitely better than Little Caesar's.

Second place to Papa John's. It pains me to do it, but grading by the standard crust variety they're not the best.

And the grand prize winner is Domino's. I guess I'll have to change my shopping pattern. The Papa John's ham was better, but overall Domino's standard crust wins over all others. If I could get them to to put the ham under the cheese they might be undefeatable in the national chain category.

8 Comments:

Blogger plain(s)feminist said...

OK, Drek:

Can I get some of whatever you're smokin'?

Round these parts - well, round any parts I've lived, actually - Domino's is the lowest grade pizza it is possible to eat.

Seriously. There are two times in my life that it's tasted good:
1) stoned, and
2) pregnant.

(Note that 1 and 2 never happened at the same time.)

Friday, July 21, 2006 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

While I appreciate the implication that I am a drug-addled moron (No, seriously, I do. Most people call me a moron without being nice enough to suggest that it's a consequence of drug use.) this post wasn't written by me. It is, instead, the work of my esteemed co-blogger, Cruffler.

This blog started as a solo-affair (hence the name) but has since become a group effort, even if I do most of the posting.

Cruffler has been generous enough to take an entire week, for which I thank him.

Feel free to argue with him about pizza quality, though. I think I would find it rather entertaining.

Friday, July 21, 2006 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger cruffler said...

plains(s)feminist:

Thank you for taking the time to read my entries. I was beginning to think I was talking to the wall. It's a fairly innocent mistake to think Drek wrote this as the bylines are pretty easy to miss. As for you request for supplies, I must decline. I don't smoke as I feel I've done enough damage to myself and try not to do any more. I would recommend you stop if you are a smoker. You seem to disagree with my opinion about Domino's. Is Domino's the only one in your area? If that were true then it would simultaneously be the best and worst so both of us would be right. I suspect this is not the case. I would ask that you give me some examples in which your favorite pizza chain is better than Domino's. Telling me that it's bad without telling me why others are better does not give me a basis for changing my mind. I would appreciate the input. Notice that I limited the debate to the large national chains. I know several mom and pop type places which are better, but they are outside the scope of this discussion. On the topic of your pregnancy I hope all went well. If not you have my condolences and hope that fortune smiles on you in the future. I must urge you, however, to limit your intake of mind altering substances to sugar, caffeine, and the like. I look forward to hearing your rationale for prefering another pizza chain.

Friday, July 21, 2006 7:24:00 PM  
Blogger plain(s)feminist said...

Oh, man. I'm not sure I'm up for a detailed comparison. How about this - Domino's tends to have a bland, tasteless, cardboard-y crust. The cheese, though, is good.

My two favorites here are Villa Pizza and Zbarro's (they're not both here: Zbarro's left and Villa replaced it. They have a thick crust that is more light and focaccia-like than doughy, and the variety of toppings and the ratio of sauce to cheese is excellent. I used to like Pizza Hut, but whenever I've had it lately it's been pretty greasy.

That's pretty much all I've got to offer pizza-wise, other than to share that Buffalo pizza (pizza made in Buffalo, not pizza with Buffalo meant - though that doesn't sound terribly appetizing) is quite often horrible.

Oh, and sorry for getting you confused with Drek. (Is it just coincidental that "Cruffler" sounds like something that could go on a pizza? "One large Cruffler with extra cheese.")

The kid in question is four and loves pizza.

Saturday, July 22, 2006 5:30:00 PM  
Blogger cruffler said...

Prior to this little exploration I would have totally agrees with what you said about the Domino's crust. I believe I mentioned being surprised at how good it was. It's possible I got a particularly good sample, but if you knew anything about my relationship with Fate you would know that is highly unlikely. I mentioned my observation about the undercooked crust to a friend of mine and he claims to have seen a program on the Food Network about it. He said it's done on purpose so that it doesnt dry out in the insulated delivery containers. Maybe I changed the equation by doing carry-out. I did carry-out for all of them and picked them up 30 minutes after ordering them so short of putting a clock in each kitchen I think I put them all under the same conditions.

I have not seen Villa Pizza or Zbarros. I have seen something called Sbarros, usually at malls or airports. I hope it's not related to Zbarros. The slices were equal parts pizza and oil. The stuffed pizza was interesting -- sort of a pizza sandwich -- but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. And I could never get them to forget the receipt so I could get the free meal.

I normally get the thicker crust from Pizza Hut so it soaks up oil pretty well. I definitely don't like their normal crust.

I haven't tried buffalo on my pizza but I did try it on a burger. Surprisingly, it did not taste like chicken.

As for the "Cruffler topping," I was told yesterday that I smell like pizza so that might not be far off. I've been known to be cheesy and feel much larger after consuming mass quantities of pizza.

Sunday, July 23, 2006 1:20:00 AM  
Blogger plain(s)feminist said...

Yes, I think it's Sbarros. Sorry you didn't like it! Guess we all have our own pizza genes...

On the other hand, the fact that it tastes good to me might be an indication of how bad the pizza was in Buffalo...

Sunday, July 23, 2006 9:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, yeah where I live Domino's is the worst too. I work at little Caesars, and I see nothing wrong with their pizza, I end a little personal like everyday on my break. Pizza hut gives everyone I know food posioning so yeah.

Monday, October 30, 2006 9:54:00 AM  
Blogger FerTom said...

How many pizzas a Little Caesars may sell per day???????

Thursday, October 04, 2012 6:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter