Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Some days it just isn't worth reving up the old stats package.

There are many different ways to discover that your hypothesis isn't supported. Some of them are intriguing and useful, suggesting new research insights. Others, are heartbreaking and disappointing. Still others are basically a big slap in the face from reality- telling you that you've been a moron. I'm fairly sure you can guess which of those options is represented by the graph below.


(Click on the image for a larger version)

Yep. I think that more or less qualifies as a statistical one-liner.

Hey, nobody said this science thing would be easy, right?

For those who care, no, this isn't from my own research. A fellow grad student provided me with this gem, and I post it with her permission. I honestly think that there's something to be celebrated in being wrong so spectacularly- at least nobody can say you didn't go all-out.

Heh. And Tina thought she was going to reveal her dorkiness? C'mon, I actually laughed outloud when I saw that graph. Who is the bigger dork?

Okay, in retrospect, I really lost sight of what answer was desirable. Nevermind.

3 Comments:

Blogger tina said...

As a matter of fact, I was going to wear that very outfit to the ASA blog-get-together this year.

Now I have to go shopping again. Thanks a lot.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

Crap! Are we having a blog-get-together this year? Did I miss an announcement or something?

Yeah, yeah. Subtle. I know.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 12:38:00 PM  
Blogger tina said...

Patience, Drek. Patience.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 6:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter