Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

ASA Impressions Redux

Well, dear readers, it is I, Drek! I have completed another two days at the ASAs and boy is my ass tired!*

These last days have, indeed, been eventful. The Belated Blogger's get-together took place last night, and I had the opportunity to meet quite a few new people. One of them, believe it or not, even managed to guess my mild-mannered real-life identity ahead of meeting me. I find this revelation both flattering, and disturbing, but feel confident that my secret is safe. I even, if you can believe it, went out to dinner with several of my esteemed fellow bloggers. I will never be able to express my gratitude at their willingness to put up with someone like me.

I always feel a little weird after the ASA blogger's convention. On the one hand, I love it and wouldn't miss it for the world. On the other hand, actually meeting my readers, and realizing that many of them are skilled professionals, leaves me feeling like I should actually try to produce something other than total crap. Fortunately for me, this feeling never lasts particularly long.

Yesterday I also had the opporunity to attend the "Animals and Society" Session. So how was it? Well, lemme put it this way: keep your eyes open for a later post on the subject. They've convinced me of several things, not all of which they will like.

And finally, some last observations about the ASAs:

(1) Okay, I take it back. I'd rather you use powerpoint, even with mono-color slides, than just read your damned paper to me. This is especially true if you lack the ability to add inflection to your voice.

(2) Why do we have a presidential plenary, anyway? As far as I can tell, its main purpose is to separate those with sufficient creativity to produce an excuse for avoiding it, or sufficient confidence to just blow it off, from everyone else.

(3) Public or not, Sociology DOES have a wider audience. While attending a panel on evolution, I met one of the expert witnesses from the Kitzmiller v. Dover trial. I thought about asking him to sign my head, but decided against it.

(4) There's a huge continuum between presentations that are "totally scripted" and those that are "winged." Either extreme can be bad, but the former is less painful. Particularly if the word "um" is a prominent part of your dialect.

(5) My paper was, believe it or not, a hit. This will doubtless disappoint the nay sayers or, as I like to call them: fuckers.

(6) I got to see Dr. Ruth Westheimer getting a perm. I felt like I should get her autograph as well, but anything appropriate for her to sign I am not going to show to a little old woman.

(7) I'm pretty certain I passed up a one-night-stand earlier. I'd also like to point out to my Sainted Girlfriend that I love her very much.

(8) My new laptop has truly heroic battery life, but it still has limits. Right now it is reading at one perce

* From sitting in chairs all day. Jesus! What is wrong with you people!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two lessons I learned attending panels at the ASAs:
1. An awful presentation can be partially redeemed if one's slides include a picture of rat poop.
2. Unintentional references to beastiality can also spice up a talk.

Monday, August 14, 2006 3:44:00 PM  
Blogger Brayden said...

I saw Dr. Ruth in the airport. Her hair did seem to have a lot of bounce to it. She was also shorter than I imagined, and I already imagined her being extremely short.

Saturday, August 19, 2006 3:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter