Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Bad Design and WebCT

Look, I'm no stranger to technology, but I have never used WebCT before. I have to use it next year for my Intro to Sociology course, and I am lucky enough to get an assistant to design the site for me.

The trouble is that the standard issue icons that come with WebCT are really awful bits of clip art, and I cannot stand that something with my name on it is so bloody ugly. Call me shallow and vain if you must, but I'm wondering if you fine folks out there in the blogosphere can help me out. Are there any banks of icons, templates, color schemes and so on that I could send to my assistant to easily upload to WebCT? If you know of any, you would be making my life so much better.

4 Comments:

Anonymous alan said...

You might check out the CSS Zen Garden, which is full of examples of nice style sheets. I don't know if WebCT even lets one use a style sheet, but if they don't, the examples styles might give you some ideas to work with.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger tina said...

If WebCT can use style sheets, it is beyond me how to make it. That is one of my complaints about this bloody awful tool, it is so damn inflexible.

From what I can tell, my only option is to upload custom icons and tell my assistant what colors I prefer. Otherwise, I think I am limited to WebCT builder tool. If I am wrong about this, I would LOVE to find out.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 1:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't state which version of WebCT your institution is using, but if you're concerned about 'clip art' icons it's probably the 'tired' CE 4.2. The latest version is CE 6.1 (soon to be 6.2). Once your institution upgrades you'll have a much nicer icon pallette as well as a whole mess of UI / Usability improvements.

Sunday, August 27, 2006 8:11:00 AM  
Blogger tina said...

well, at least there's hope for improvement in the future.

Monday, August 28, 2006 8:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter