Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

"As if millions of voices cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

I can think of no better quote than Ben Kenobi's to preface what will be, to some in the audience, a grim announcement. Some of you have been regular readers of this blog for some time. I would say "many" of you but, to be honest, I'm fairly sure that most people who visit this blog on any given day are brought in by random google searches. Such is the life of a blogger. For the record, I really don't think there's anything on this blog about "free nude pics of Jessica Alba," but you're welcome to keep looking. Also, ironically, I'm pretty certain that just writing that sentence is going to substantially increase my daily traffic. I'll let you know.

In any case, many of you reading this are regular visitors and as a result are familiar with the cast of characters here at Total Drek. One of these characters is the woman who has previously been known as my Sainted Girlfriend. I have referred to her as "Sainted" for the simple reason that she has to date put up with all of my crap, and remained my girlfriend. You regular readers know exactly what I'm talking about here but, for the new visitors, let me make this easy: I am a real pain in the ass to be around. Seriously. Ask the Former Hypothetical Roommate. He'll tell you. I have also previously referred to her as my "girlfriend" for reasons so obvious that I frankly don't believe I need to go into detail.

Some of you may have noted that I am using the past-tense an awful lot in this post. If so, you are quite astute. I am, indeed, using the past tense because, like it or not, my sainted girlfriend is no longer my sainted girlfriend. In fact, she's no longer my girlfriend at all. We've had a lot of conversations about this in the past few months and, after a great deal of soul searching on both of our parts, we have decided that there's no reason for her to continue being my girlfriend or for me to continue being her boyfriend. So, I must announce that, as of this past Saturday the second of September, she is no longer my Sainted Girlfriend.

From now on, she will be known as my Sainted Fiancee.

Yes, it appears that Drek the Uninteresting has finally met his match and, in a year or so, will be a married man. There will be, so help me, a Mrs. the Uninteresting and, perhaps one day, little additions to the Uninteresting clan. And all it took was a little luck, a little ingenuity, and a small token of my affection:



Who knows? Maybe I'll mellow out once I'm all settled down and responsible.

But I wouldn't bet on it if I were you.

12 Comments:

Blogger Tom Bozzo said...

Aww, congrats Drek and SF!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 3:08:00 PM  
Blogger Brayden said...

Congratulations to both of you!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 3:12:00 PM  
Blogger Slag said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More details, please!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 6:37:00 PM  
Blogger tina said...

Congratulations, you crazy kids!!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 6:44:00 PM  
Blogger plain(s)feminist said...

Aw man - I was all upset there b/c I was sure you had broken up. And now I'm all happy. And a little overwhelmed. I need to go lie down - I'm tearing up.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 6:58:00 PM  
Anonymous bookmobile said...

It's true, Drek. You are a pain in the ass to be around. And so the SF's actions in this matter are truly baffling.

Just Kidding. Congratulations to both of you. I know the SF is blissful, and that warms my icy core.

Two sociologists marrying. Truly this is yet another sign of the impending end.

You're a lucky man, Drek.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 7:56:00 PM  
Blogger sep said...

Such a happy post, so very happy for you both, but can you now get back to ridiculing the xtian right and asking silly questions about STATA?

no really, very happy day! :)

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:39:00 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Wonderful news -- congratulations (and NOT condolences) to both of you.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 8:48:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

Hey All,

Thanks for the well-wishing. To respond to Slag's request for details: we went camping over the weekend and I proposed at a rather dramatic spot along a hiking trail. My Sainted Fiancee was nice enough to pretend to be somewhat surprised, but was genuinely happy, so I reckon it all works out.

Thanks again, folks.

As for your request, SEP, for a return to ridicule... well... be careful what you wish for.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 9:21:00 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

on the heels of a post about stata functions, this is indeed refreshing.

will the wedding be covered here live with sardonic commentaries (a la your State of the Union jibber-jabber)?

Thursday, September 07, 2006 11:01:00 AM  
Anonymous bookmobile said...

Drek and the SF (then the SG) are walking along a trail.

"Wait, honey, I have to tie my shoe," says Drek craftily. At which point he takes a knee.

And y'all can take it from there...

Thursday, September 07, 2006 2:13:00 PM  
Blogger TDEC said...

Yada! Congratulations!!!! Welcome to the hell of wedding planning, and also the wedded bliss. Wedded bliss is good. Btw, we're having the ceremony at the end of February so I hope you bring yourselves down to Florida so I can actually MEET you both.

Enjoy. It'll be great.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 6:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter