Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I expect to see one of these in class any day now.

Yesterday Jeremy graced us with his thoughts on a t-shirt by Abercrombie & Fitch. These shirts have generated a certain amount of discussion and are, indeed, quite remarkable. So what are they? Well, I don't have a picture of them for you, but I do have a picture of a shirt with the same slogan.



Now, I could comment on a lot of things here. I could point out that this is demeaning to women but, hey, we all know that. I could observe that this is bizarre in that the woman wearing such a shirt is more or less participating in stereotyping herself, but we all know that too. I could even observe that they're a little funny- and they are- in a sad and frighteneing kind of way.

But, instead, I think I'll just engage in a small spot of turnabout:



It may not be the kind of sexual equity I was hoping for but, hey, it's a start.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think both examples are just good reminders that "brains" aren't exactly applauded these days. Just look at George W. and his "good old boy" mentality, and then the villification of Hillary Rodham Clinton for being "smart." (Check out the Onion for a particularly poignant look at how Clinton has been criticized for her brains.) I find nothing funny in either of these two pictures - they both just make me kind of sad. - Drek's SF

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Lars said...

i enjoyed this offering from some of our undergrads on the topic.

http://www.unc.edu/bounce/7.html

i hope that link works.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 11:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great pictures, would work well as a an advert sketch!

Regards Simon dumville
YourBroadcaster

Friday, December 01, 2006 5:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter