Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Slag, Meet the Democrats

This evening I went for a first-ever experience: I spent two hours volunteering for the state Democratic party. This post is dedicated to any of you that might have considered political volunteering, but are nervous about it. I was very nervous too, but it was just fine.

I showed up at my local union hall, and I was greeted by a very nice volunteer coordinator, who explained what I would be doing - calling voters to ask them who they were voting for in the upcoming state elections. Eek. The human mind was not made for cold calling.

The coordinator explained how to work the autodialer phone system. It would dial numbers for me, and I would ask my questions. I told her that it was my first time volunteering, and she reassured me that it really does get easier with time. Also, and this was something that made me feel much better: If people are rude on the phone, YOU CAN HANG UP ON THEM. You can also press *6 to record them as a "person was rude" number. Presumably this option engages an automatic message that calls them at 2 A.M. and plays the Macarena song.

Here was what I was supposed to say:

Slag: Hello, my name is Slag. I'm a volunteer with the medium-sized eastern state Democratic party. I have just a few questions for you this evening, if you have a moment.
Person: OK.
Slag: Who will you support for U.S. Senate, Democratic candidate Good Democrat or Republican candidate Evil Republican?
Person: Good Democrat.
Slag: And will you support the Democratic candidate for Governor, the Lesser Evil?
Person: The Lesser Evil.
Slag: Thank you very much for your time. Have a good evening.


That was how it was supposed to work, anyway. Here was the most common actual outcome:

Slag: Hello, my name is Slag. I'm a volunteer with the medium-sized eastern state Democratic party. I have just a few questions for you this evening, if you have a moment.
*click*


Here is another common response:

Slag: Hello, my name is Slag. I'm a volunteer with the medium-sized eastern state Democratic party. I have just a few questions for you this evening, if you have a moment.
Person: Sorry, I don't have time to talk.
Slag: Thank you, have a good evening.


Here were some other responses:

Thanks, but I'm a Republican.*

I'm not a U.S. citizen. I'm not allowed to vote.

I don't speak English.

I got not a single rude phone response in the entire two hours of calling people. Lots of hangups, which I completely expected, but no one was rude. It reaffirmed my faith in humanity.

So, if anyone wants to volunteer for the Democratic party**, I recommend the experience.

*Yes, even the Republicans were not rude, and even said thanks. I feel better about the world because of it.
**Or the Republican party, if you wish and are a sad, bitter husk of a human being

1 Comments:

Blogger Warbler said...

Slag-

Attaboy.

I just signed up to take election day off and make phone calls with Moveon.org. I'm glad to hear your experience was positive. Gotta work for this one.

Warbler

Thursday, October 19, 2006 6:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter