Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A drumroll please...

Regular readers of this blog may remember a while back when I mentioned some health issues that I've been having. To recap, I discovered that I have a defect in my circulatory system that can produce strokes, heart attacks, and brain infections. I also learned that this disorder is often associated with a genetic abnormality that can produce more of these defects over time, and thus can be a serious threat to my health. Today I can give folks an update.

Since my last post I was informed that upwards of one third of all persons diagnosed with my defect also show signs of previous strokes or infections in the brain that were too benign to be noticed. So, in other words, it was possible that I had already lost some amount of nervous tissue without being aware of it. Thanks to a series of CT scans, we are now fairly sure that did not occur.

We've also discovered that my insurance company is a wee bit crazy. They're perfectly fine with paying for my necessary treatment- it's just the necessary preliminary scans the doctors need so that they can figure out what the hell to do that insurance didn't want to pay for. This is equivalent to someone being perfectly willing to buy you a car, but only if the windshield is painted black. We have, since, managed to solve that issue using only minimally persuasive tactics.

It also appears now, though it isn't certain, that I probably do not have the genetic disorder. I seem to be in the lucky 5% or so of people who have one of these without being doomed to develop an endless succession of them throughout the remainder of their lives. This means that my defect is either (A) an isolated developmental glitch or (B) the result of a mutation that occurred after fetal development began. In that latter case it's possible that my problem may be hereditary not from my parents, but from me forward to my children. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I may in fact be a new mutant. All I can say is: being a mutant is much cooler in the comic books. Cyclops gets laser vision, I get this. On the other hand their dress code sucks so I can't complain too much. There will likely be some testing in the future to determine whether or not I can pass this on if only so that my Sainted Fiancee and I can plan for our children.

So why do I bring this up now? Well, for a fairly simple reason: tomorrow I'm going into surgery so that they can fix this thing. In theory they're going to insert a catheter into my femoral artery, thread it through my veins and into my chest cavity, through my heart, and then down to the defect. At that point, after looking around for more of these things for an indeterminate period of time, they will fix the problem and remove the catheter. After that I'll basically have a long period of forced immobility while my artery seals, and then have a twenty-four hour observation period in the hospital. If everything goes well, I should be out sometime Friday and back on my feet this weekend. On the other hand if there are complications it will mean I've suffered a heart attack or stroke either during, or shortly after, the procedure and I may not be on my feet for a while. Worst case scenarios involve death or the famous "persistent vegetative state," although neither of those are very likely. My surgeon has a lot of experience with this exact procedure, for this exact problem, and has an excellent record so, in all likelihood, I'll come through it just fine and in better condition than I started. Still, I won't be blogging til next week, and this is why.

My operation begins at around 9:00 AM on Thursday and continues through the day. Anticipated admission to the hospital is around 8:00-ish that night. My Sainted Fiancee who, for some baffling reason, is rather fond of me will be waiting anxiously until the procedure is finished. I, on the other hand, will be unconscious and so not really there and not particularly anxious. If you know my Sainted Fiancee, please be nice to her Thursday- she'll have a lot more on her mind than usual. If you don't know me or my Sainted Fiancee... um... well, I hope you have a great Thursday! As for me:

It's one for the money, two for the show, three to get ready, and four to...

As an unrelated side note: frightening as this is, it turns out that it's actually impossible to go looking for a picture of Shannon Elizabeth on Google Images and NOT find a nude photo, even if you have safe search turned up all the damn way. Seriously, I tried. If you can do a search and not have one come up on the first damned page of results, you're a better google searcher than I am.

Why was I looking for a picture of Shannon Elizabeth? Hey, you have your hobbies, and I have mine, okay?

7 Comments:

Blogger Brayden said...

Good luck Drek! May you come out of surgery as ornery as ever.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 12:20:00 PM  
Blogger plain(s)feminist said...

Break a leg - we'll be thinking of you. It sounds like it's all going as well as can be expected, which is really great news.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 12:21:00 PM  
Blogger tina said...

Best wishes, Drek. I'll be thinking of you. As we say in California, I'll send you some good vibes.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 12:30:00 PM  
Anonymous bookmobile said...

Good luck, Drek. Welcome to the ranks of the Genetic Mutants!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 4:52:00 PM  
Blogger Tom Volscho said...

Dodge the bullet! Here's a quote from As Good as it Gets: "Fucking HMO bastard pieces of shit!"

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:36:00 PM  
Blogger Tom Bozzo said...

Hope it goes well, Drek. Here's for option (A) on the possible mutation front.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 6:03:00 AM  
Blogger Ken Houghton said...

What Tom Said.

I note for the record that Scott Summers got a horrible deal: having to look at the world through rose-coloured glasses is fine, apparently, for the President of the United States but really a sh*tty situation for most people, especially if you like things such as depth perception.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 8:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter