Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Better late than never...

Seeing as how I'm one of those dinosaurs who insists on clinging to Blogger Classic,* my ability to update has been pretty much shot to hell all day. Now that it's back I really don't feel like writing anything worth reading, so y'all get this instead.

During my holiday travels, when I am usually piss-poor at keeping up with blogs, the lovely and dedicated Plain(s)Feminist was kind enough to tag me with a little game. In this game, one is supposed to do the following:

1. Go to the nearest book in your reach and turn to page 123.
2. Go to the fifth sentence of the book.
3. Copy the next three sentences, then tag someone else.


Ever the cooperative schmuck, I figure I may as well go along with all this.

As it happens, when I read her little challenge I was working on my dissertation research, which means that the nearest book in my reach was, "SAS User's Guide 1979 Edition."** Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am a pathetic bastard.

Opening up to page 123, and starting at the fifth sentence:***

"MEANS list of effects / options;
Means can be computed for any effect involving CLASS variables whether or not the effect is in the model. Any number of MEANS statements may be used before and/or after the MODEL statement. Here is an example:

PROC GLM;
CLASSES A B C;
MODEL Y=A B C;
MEANS A B C A*B;

Means will be printed for each level of the variables A, B, and C, for the combined levels of A and B."

Now wasn't that exciting? I know I'm all a-twitter!

In the interests of enabling other people's procrastination I suppose I should tag some additional folks, thus completing my participation in all this. For such a purpose I choose Brayden, Tom, and Tina (who occasionally posts right here on Total Drek).

Have fun!


* I just have better things to do right now than spend time learning new software that facillitates the time-suck that is blogging.

** Still useful after all these years because SAS never changes anything.

*** Keeping in mind that the SAS Institute has only the loosest understanding of English punctuation and grammar, thus making it difficult to identify sentences.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Bozzo said...

As far as I'm aware, I've managed to avoid being tagged with this one. My forthcoming response also is highly dependent on the location of the computer.

Re the new Blogger, I tried to switch over Marginal Utility, but was told that the blog is too big. So our extended blogging family will remain on 'classic' for now.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 7:33:00 AM  
Blogger Dan Myers said...

Same here. The three books closest to my computer right now are a thesuarus, a dictionary, and the Chicago style manual. I don't think any of those would produce very interesting results (and would also likely cause problems in identifying sentences).

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 12:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter