Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

You can see why we're engaged.

The Scene: Drek, who has been feeling poorly, and his Sainted Fiancee are chatting in their apartment before bed. Drek is drinking an odd reddish fluid.

D'sSF: What's that? Emergen-C?

Drek: Yeah.

D'sSF: Good!

Drek: Well, I don't know that it really does any good but I don't think one packet will hurt me. Besides, if I can make use of the placebo effect, so much the better.

D'sSF: Yay placebo!

Drek: Mmmm.

D'sSF: You know he's the brother to Placido Domingo.

Drek: Placebo Domingo?

D'sSF: Mmmm-hmmm.

Drek: Yeah, I know. It's funny. Everyone thinks he can sing like his brother... but he can't.

D'sSF: Laughs.

D'sSF: You're just drinking that to make me feel better, aren't you?

Drek: Yes.

D'sSF: You're very sweet.


As a side note for anyone who is curious: Emergen-C tastes really, really bad. You know that weird cardboard flavor a multivitamin has if you leave it on your tongue for too long? Now imagine that in liquid form. Yech.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What flavor were you drinking? I kind of like the cranberry flavor.

Thursday, January 11, 2007 3:35:00 PM  
Blogger Practicing Idealist said...

It was cranberry, and I kind of like it too. - D's SF

Thursday, January 11, 2007 4:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found that it not only works better than Airborne or Zicam for keeping colds at bay, but it's also good for an upset stomach. I've got to agree with your SF, Drek.

- Anon 3:35

Thursday, January 11, 2007 5:57:00 PM  
Blogger tina said...

I think it's also good for hair loss, sciatica, plantars warts and malaria.

Thursday, January 11, 2007 7:00:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

I think I'm with Tina on this one. If you look at the ingredients for one packet of Emergen-C it includes 1,667% of your recommended daily allowance of vitamin-c. So, in other words, one packet should pretty much do me for the next 4.6 years. Anyone here really think the human body can metabolize and use that amount of vitamin-c? If not then I've just ensured that I have the most costly urine in my neighborhood. Goody.

Realistically the vitamin c likely does help, but I doubt as much as everyone thinks.

And don't even get me started on the included alpha lipoic acid and quercetin. That little icon next to them means we don't have any idea how the hell much of them we may or may not need- so I'm sure as hell glad that a vitamin company is just making a random guess about it.

Thursday, January 11, 2007 8:52:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

Whoops! Heh. Strike that. When you're sick and spend all day in the lab working on your dissertation, you apparently come down with a bad case of stupid.

That should have been 16.7 days not 4.6 years. Still pretty ridiculous, but not nearly so much as before.

Don't let it be said that I can't admit my own mistakes...

Publicly...

Thursday, January 11, 2007 10:17:00 PM  
Blogger TDEC said...

Based on my sketchy knowledge of vitamins, I believe a person can only process about 1000% of the daily recommended allowance, unless you inject it intravenously. The rest is just, as a friend of mine put it, expensive urine.

Friday, January 12, 2007 8:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter