Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Friday, March 30, 2007

That does about cover it.

Today after I teach my own class I'm dropping by the class of a colleague to do a little guest lecture on science. This is a regretable necessity as my colleague's students seem to be laboring under the misconception that science is concerned with explaining tiny little idiosyncratic phenomena, rather than large general classes of things. Today I will do my best to disabuse them of this notion using, among other things, a class activity involving two students, two glasses, and one bottle of Drano. Stay tuned for the possible lawsuits.

In honor of today's impending discussion of science, however, I thought I'd just provide y'all with this classic illustration of the difference between scientists and regular people, courtesy of xkcd:



And do you know what the hell of it is? The scientist is gonna have to pull that lever at least a dozen more times just to be sure. Ah, the stupid things we do in the name of learning.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous a very public sociologist said...

Ha ha, this is why I'm a sociologist and not a "hard" scientist!

Sunday, April 01, 2007 3:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Pheirser said...

I enjoyed these clips bunches. I just wish it was all a joke arrgghh.

How the hell do creationist earn more respect in USA than evolutionists. Just mind blowingly STOOPID!

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 7:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter