Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Monday, April 30, 2007

The power of modern medicine...

Some of you may remember that a while back I had a surgical procedure to correct a potentially deadly defect in my circulatory system. I was pretty freaked about the whole thing at the time but, since then, have been doing much better. The chest pain that originally led to my diagnosis went away and took my shortness of breath with it. Since then I have been feeling pretty decent and, if anything, raring to go.

Despite the elimination of symptoms, however, I have been in follow-up care since the procedure. This has consisted mostly of CT scans every couple of months and a general order not to exert myself. I guess I can only be grateful that my job does not involve a great deal of physical exercise. My most recent set of scans were this month and, for shits and giggles, I'm going to share two of them with you.

This is the inside of my chest cavity:



Those of you with advanced degrees in radiology or diagnostic medicine can probably already see the problem. However, since I doubt that anyone with those kinds of credentials reads this festering shithole of a blog, I suspect you're thinking the same thing that I was when I saw this image. Specifically, you're wondeirng why I have some sort of echinoderm in my chest. Well, rest assured, I am not playing host to something that ought to be on the menu at Red Lobster. If you want to see the problem that just might kill me, check out this second image:



Scary.

I bring this all up because* it appears that I am not quite done yet with my adventures in modern medicine. The defect has been partly corrected but, after several months of waiting and watching, it does not appear to be inclined to completely resolve itself. So, sometime in the next month or two, it looks like they'll be going back in a second time. I'm assured that it will be safer this time as the original repair work gives them an added margin of error but, really, who here is comfortable when someone else is punching holes in their body with sharp instruments? Right. That's what I thought.

So, stay tuned Drek-fans. Posting may get kinda irregular again for a while, but in the meantime it should be pretty interesting.



* I mean, aside from the obvious chance to make a shitty sight-gag.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger TDEC said...

Best of luck with that, by the way. Space monsters are not to be sneezed at.

Friday, May 04, 2007 6:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter