Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Friday, May 18, 2007

A little perspective.

It used to be that people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe. Come to think of it, for some folks that hasn't changed. Nevertheless, it used to be a common idea that we humans were the most important things in existence. The absolute pinnacle of creation, if you will. I don't have a problem with feeling good about being human but, really, I think that it's useful to try and get a little perspective on just how big and important we humans really are.











Some people might say that by emphasizing how small and insignificant humans are I'm being nihilistic. I think that it is quite the opposite. A universe tailored so that we humans were automatically big and important would be like an adult who only played games suitable for a five year old. Such an adult would obviously be more than capable of becoming expert at them and the experience would be nothing if not dull. I believe we have immense potential to learn and grow, I believe that we can meet whatever challenges come our way and, if nothing else, I think it's inspiring that the game board is so large.

I'm pretty excited that we get to play the big kid games. Don't you want to play too?

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Bozzo said...

Those graphics are darn cool. Where are they from?

Friday, May 18, 2007 1:16:00 PM  
Blogger Janelle Renee said...

Amazing. I'm going to forward your posts to my friends. I have a feeling my atheist friends will get a warm fuzzy after reading this.

Friday, May 18, 2007 2:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter