Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Monday, June 11, 2007

Makes you wonder

From time to time going about my daily life I happen to run across signs that things are not going well for some people. These signs may be subtle, they may be faint, and they may require professional skills to interpret. This sign is none of those:



For those who don't want to click on the picture to get a larger image, it's a sign I found on the jewelry counter of my local Target informing customers that they can't pay for alcohol in the jewelry department. I just wish I could have been around to see some of the incidents that must have made this sign necessary- some guy popping the twelve pack of Bud light up over the cubic zirconia rings and asking someone to check him out. Just priceless.

And if pondering that isn't enough for you, well, maybe I have something else to keep you busy. Remember last Friday's post when I discussed some recent research on the dislike of evangelical Christians within the academy? Brad Wright sent some of his readers to take a look-see and they've been commenting on it. One of them even suggests that I should be kept away from impressionable young minds.* If you're looking for something to do, head on over and watch them rip into me. It should be fun for the whole family!


* Kind of a hard argument to counter when you stop to think about it.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger S.S.Stone said...

An interesting sign for a Canadian. Stores in Ontario are not allowed to sell spirits of any kind. We have the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario-government owned and operated. While in California this past winter I went into a supermarket and was amazed at the variety of wine/beer/etc.that filled a few isles. You don't see that here. You can purchase liquor over the counter in Quebec- not quite sure of the other provinces.

I'm also bringing you flowers in this post. I sincerely apologize saying "I'd be very concerned about someone with this mindset teaching young developing minds." That was not a very nice thing to say. When I read your above post and saw that you mentioned it & linked it, my heart thumped thinking that I may have hurt your feelings, someone I don't even know out here in the blog world. I hope you can accept my apology. I'd like to blame it on my passionate Italian heritage, but it was just poor manners. I've since read your dialogue regarding your teaching methodology and also your comment, "My teacher evaluations (anonymous from students) indicate that I am more respectful, more effective, and that students learn more in my class than average at my university (differences are statistically significant at the .05 level). So far... so good." I'm sure you're a wonderful teacher and from what you've stated it does sound like you are fair (and I'm not going to use the words "try to be fair") in the classroom. I understand how unruly some students can be when they want to grandstand and use the classroom as a forum for their beliefs. It does interfere with the teaching of course material.

Next time I disagree with a post I must try using some restraint in my words, formulating them in a better manner. I do enjoy your blog - it causes such response and stirs such emotions-it's important to debate, disagree and share our differences and learn from each other.
Sarah

Monday, June 11, 2007 6:16:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

Hey Sarah,

Seriously, don't worry about it at all. I've been blogging for close to three years now and I don't offend too easily. To be honest, I'm sure I go too far from time to time so it's good that people bring me up short. I am certainly sorry if I gave offense to you, as well. Both you and Dr. Wright have been very congenial and I've enjoyed the discussion.

Heh. I appreciate the comment, but I'll stick with "I try to be fair." John Brunner once asserted that the point at which you decide that you are wise is precisely when you actually stop being so. We never know everything, we never have all the answers, we are always works in progress. As long as I keep trying, I figure I'll always have more chances to do better than the last time.

Glad to have you around, Sarah.

Monday, June 11, 2007 9:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter