Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

The nightmare continues...

Way back in the day* I was not a blogger. I didn't really "get" blogging and looked at it as a somewhat self-indulgent hobby. I tended to think that it was an enormous waste of time and an excuse for people to feel more important than they actually are.** Then all that changed- Brayden, curse him, convinced me to enter the blogging world with a post that is, if nothing else, insulting and poorly written.*** The day that first post went online was June 28th, 2004; meaning that today is my three-year Blogiversary.

The last three years have been interesting ones for me. I've insulted folks, both intentionally and unintentionally, engaged in fascinating debates, and generally become more informed. It's been my experience that committing to post something five days a week tends to make me more alert for interesting or bizarre news. Does this give me a more complete perspective on the world? Well, maybe, maybe not, but I figure I have to be doing better than the Conservapeons. The most enjoyable part of becoming a blogger, however, has been getting to know- and even meet- other bloggers. There's quite a rogues gallery out here on the old intertubes. In addition to Brayden, who has abandoned his old haunts for the very successful orgtheory.net, I've gotten to know Jeremy of Jeremy Freese's weblog, Tom Bozzo of Marginal Utility, as well as his co-blogger Kim and, to a much lesser extent, Ken. As if that weren't enough, there's Tina, now of Total Drek,**** Alan of the eponymously named blog, Plain(s)feminist, who always has something interesting to say, and Tom Volscho whose blog is much more intelligent than my own.*****

And, of course, the fun continues as I always seem to be meeting new and fascinating people via the blog. There's Dan Myers, S.S. Stone, and of course Brad Wright, who each have their own unique take on things.

So what is in store for the future? Probably more ranting about the intelligent design folk, more mockery of Conservapedia, and more juvenile humor. Hopefully, also, more learning, more fun, and more encounters with people who are more interesting them myself. Regardless, I know one thing for certain:

As long as I have my blog, I will always have a way to procrastinate! And that's all that matters.


* "The day" meaning, in this case, 2004.

** Actually, that's largely still my position on the matter.

*** It goes without saying that this set the tone for my future blog posts.

**** Sort of. She's way too busy being productive to actually blog much.

***** Not much of a feat, really, since some cereal boxes are more intelligent than this blog.

As a side note: the pictures I selected for individuals are a result of equal parts imagination and sheer laziness.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Tom Bozzo said...

Happy blogiversary, Drek!

Perhaps we'll meet if Tina or someone organizes another one of those sociology blogger get-togethers at the ASAs. (In fact, my brood and I will be on the east coast at the right time this year, hint hint.)

Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:16:00 AM  
Blogger Brayden said...

Congrats on the blogiversary my friend. I'm proud/horrified I encouraged you to do this.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger S.S.Stone said...

you have me in stitches laughing so hard here @ those pictures!!!! ..glad you find it fun and fascinating but that girl in the red dress may sue you ..and i didn't know academics could be so creative with "picture to blog" switch over! -that took a lot of talent lol..Congratulations and i wish you many more years of happy blogging... .hope your colleagues get you a cake today to celebrate this monumental event! lol

p.s. I find you a lot of fun as well as fascinating ...It's a deranged venue,out here in La La Land!

p.p.s. Is there a certain type of personality that fit's what a "blogger type is"? I'm sure you have some answer in your repertoire.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

Happy birthday, Drek! I am a better person for having read your blog all these years.

Deal with it.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 4:25:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

Tom: Wow, really, you're going to be on the east coast at the same time as the ASAs? We have got to work something out. Drop me an e-mail to set up details?

I hear that there is going to be an annual get-togther but, according to Brayden, his co-blogger Fabio is organizing. I haven't seen nor heard anything about it, though.

Brayden: Exactly the reaction you should have, I think.

S.S. Stone: The type of person who blogs? Really, anyone. The question is, "What kind of person sticks with it for years on end?" The answer, I think, is "Slightly crazy."

Tina: I have to say, I love getting compliments in such a combative fashion! Seriously, though, I'm glad you like the blog and I miss seeing you contribute to the old interblags now and then.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:20:00 PM  
Blogger Brad Wright said...

Three years? Okay, I'm impressed. I have my doubts about getting past next Tuesday.

Congratulations!

Friday, June 29, 2007 5:36:00 PM  
Blogger plain(s)feminist said...

I, too, will be on the east coast at approximately the same time as the ASAs. I'll even be in NYC (sort of), but I'm heading back here on August 9...

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 12:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter