Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I'm almost disappointed.

Regular readers of the blog may know a great deal about myself and my esteemed co-bloggers, but what you may not know is the amazing amount of work it takes to maintain this "high quality" corner of the interblags. Here at Total Drek we strive to produce new content five days a week, fifty-two weeks a year, and have been maintaining this schedule for more than three years now. Needless to say, this represents a considerable investment of man hours and makes me deathly afraid that someday google's servers are going to hiccup and lose the whole damned thing. Then again, if they did it might give me license to stop blogging, so maybe I should be cheering entropy on. Regardless, maintaining this blog does absorb a certain amount of time and energy.

Yet, it does not begin and end with the mere writing of posts, but also extends to various administrative matters. I do, occasionally, receive e-mail from readers who either approve very much of what I do, disapprove even more of the same, or seem to think I may have insight into their personal problems. Let me assure those in the latter category, right here and now, that the advice you get from a blog titled "Total Drek" is likely to be worth considerably less than what you paid for it. Putting it more bluntly, I have little or no insight to grant to anyone. My posts are largely populated by my own lunatic opinions and the products of my feverish imagination- sort of like "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," but without all the drugs. As it happens, I don't need pharmaceuticals to be totally batshit crazy. But I digress...

Sometimes even more interesting e-mails come in and, as it happens, this is one of those times. Yesterday I learned that your unfriendly nieghborhood blog, Total Drek, has been contacted in regards to a libel suit. Now, please understand that this is not the sort of "lawsuit" that often plagues Something Awful. They routinely get harassed by idiots who think that they can easily intimidate people they don't like by threatening a lawsuit. Fortunately, SA has the crack legal counsel of Leonard "J." Crabs, and has thus far emerged unscathed. In my case, however, the lawsuit referenced in the e-mail is, in fact, listed in publicly available documents.* Yes, I'm serious: an actual law suit filed by actual lawyers in an actual court that is actually alleging libel. Yippee!

So, have my evil ways caught up with me? Has my flippancy finally bitten me in the ass? As it turns out... no. Believe it or not, the libel charge was related only to a comment, left by an anonymous reader, to a post I wrote** more than a year ago. As the comment had nothing to do with the post, and a judge had indeed ordered that libelous material be removed, I complied with the request of the attorneys, but in a weird way I'm surprised. In three years of blogging, when I have contact with the legal system, it's not even for something I wrote?***

That just cracks me the hell up.


* I'd give you a link BUT I think that might allow a truly enterprising individual to figure out what was originally posted here. While this would not technically be problematic I think it would violate the spirit of the judge's order.

** Don't ask which one, I'm not saying.

*** Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be sued, I just think it's odd that I'm getting contacted about something someone else wrote. As much as some folks dislike me it's kinda nice that nobody has ever claimed libel.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger ΕΡΜΕΣ said...

The gods are amused.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter