Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

An interesting discussion...

I'm pretty busy today- especially following yesterday's holiday when I think my Sainted Fiancee would have shot me for going near a computer- so I don't have a lot of time to blog. In lieu of that, however, allow me to share with you a rather interesting discussion between Al Sharpton and Christopher Hitchens about Hitchens' book "God is not Great."



I'm sure people will have all kinds of responses to this. For my part, I think Hitchens does very well but Sharpton is a better speaker for average audiences. Sharpton does a good job of calling Hitchens' names, Hitchens does a good job of not accepting the framing that Sharpton wants to put on the debate. In any case, intriguing material.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Drek's Soon to be Former Officemate said...

Since I sent the video to you, I feel compelled to make a comment.

I think you're spot on in your assessment of the debate. Hitchens came across--to me--as well-read and smart, and as knocking Sharpton flat. However, it isn't clear to me how this would transfer to a non-academic Fox News audience.

With that being said, I'd really like to hear an opinion from someone of that demographic--or if not someone of that demographic, then at least someone more sympathetic to Sharpton. Maybe I should get one of my parents to watch and see what they think...

D'sStbFO

Friday, July 06, 2007 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger maxliving said...

I think that Sharpton is right when he says that Hitchens never actually answered the questions, but perhaps that is because he's not like religious people or right-wingers who spew out dogma; he's more of a pragmatist.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 2:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter